Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most gruesome piece of music you've heard?

1. Jul 11, 2008 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here's mine, Florence Foster Jenkins in "Der Holle Rache":

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2
    Anything metal I can't stand. Metal, punk, etc. Just sounds like a bunch of yelling and racket if you ask me.

4. Jul 11, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:bugeye: :eek:

I thought the worst thing I'd ever heard was a recording by Fred Astaire's sister.

5. Jul 11, 2008 #4
    I'm really mad at you for making me listen 10s of this :surprised :yuck: :rofl:

6. Jul 11, 2008 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter went through a "screamo" phase...talk about yelling and racket! One day I came home and heard the most horrible noise coming from upstairs. I thought, what the heck is she doing with a blender in her room?!? Futher inspection revealed it wasn't a blender, it was her new CD...!

7. Jul 11, 2008 #6

Evo

I think Arildno should be flogged for this one!

8. Jul 11, 2008 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here, at great personal risk, I present the Laughing song from "Die Fledermaus" ):

9. Jul 11, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very funny bio of this woman...

Florence Foster Jenkins

10. Jul 11, 2008 #9

Evo

What ever gave this woman the idea that she could sing? I cringe every time she tries to hit a high note.

How did you come across this atrocity?

11. Jul 11, 2008 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was given a CD with her music when I was a teenager..:smile:

12. Jul 11, 2008 #11
    I did not know of Florence Foster Jenkins. It does remind me of personal experience. When you accompany a terrible singer, it is frustrating that the concert ends up both being very difficult for you (to adjust at every bar with the singer), and very disappointing for the public (since, despite the accompanists efforts, no miracle can be done).

Somehow, I hope this person never realized where her success really came from.

13. Jul 11, 2008 #12

Evo

Thanks Lisa, that is just too funny. If the titles of the albums are the original titles, surely she did it as an elaborate joke.

14. Jul 11, 2008 #13

Evo

Either you were a really strange teenager for someone to give you something like that, or the giver had quite a sense of humor. :rofl:

Wait, they had CD's when you were a teenager? I remember getting my first portable 8 track tape player and thinking how cool I was to be the first kid on the block to have one.

15. Jul 11, 2008 #14
    I was unable to listen to the whole retch.

16. Jul 11, 2008 #15
    Roseann Barr's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

No link - I never want to hear it again.

17. Jul 11, 2008 #16
    Probably one of the many Star Spangled Banner butcherings, including Hendrix's version of it.

18. Jul 11, 2008 #17
    I came to the conclusion some time ago that the majority of any genre of music is crap (and perhaps a couple entire genres aswell) but that there are certain individual bands and musicians in almost all genres that are quite good. I do not like alot of Punk but it is one of my favourite styles of music. I also like some Metal and, although I didn't like any for a long while, some rap aswell.

That said have many of you heard Charles Manson's music? Absolutely horrible, but sort of humourous at the same time. There is also a not so serious venture called The Sun City Girls who mostly fit in the 'nails on a chalk board' genre but are sometimes good in a kitch sort of way.

And William Shatner ought not be allowed near a microphone.

19. Jul 11, 2008 #18
    That is exactly the conclusion I came to. During a discussion with my dad, he was into his "they just don't make good music like in the 70's" mode. I pointed out that there was crap back then too, but it was much harder to make a record so the few good ones were better known.

Now a days, any idiot with $400 from flipping burgers can put out an album from his basement (and does. myself included. my band is quite quite terrible.), so it's becoming increasingly hard to shuffle through the myriads upon myriads of crap and find those 10, maybe 20 good bands that are out there... which is about the same number as there always was of good bands, just they are harder to find now. Few of them make it into the mainstream.

20. Jul 11, 2008 #19
    Most metal is like that, but not all of it. Some of the industrial metal is good.

21. Jul 11, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I can't listen to modern metal (including all industrial), rap, hip-hop, opera, etc.

Blues, classical, country, rock, traditional jazz (some modern jazz is too free-form and jarring to be music) ragtime, bluegrass, folk, mariachi, reggae, skiffle, rockabilly, etc are all free game.

[rant]Kids who put a spoiler on an Accord and bolt in a subwoofer capable of rattling your windows when they drive by should burn all their CDs. By the time they're my age, they'll be deaf and they will be unable to appreciate any music that doesn't consist of "Thump, thump, thump".[/rant]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?