Most iconic planes of World War I and World War II

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 30K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,697
Reaction score
9,101
This came to me last night while falling asleep. I just had to see how it looked. Maybe some rainy day, I'll pop by the hobby shop and kit bash it.

LJ061027F86.jpg


And if anyone wants to see http://www.jetplanes.co.uk/vintageaircraft/sabre-picture2.jpg" ...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm An F86 Bi-plane. You may be on to something here Dave.:smile:
 
It reminds me of fruit flys mutated by radiation that come out with two sets of wings.
 
zoobyshoe said:
It reminds me of fruit flys mutated by radiation that come out with two sets of wings.


Or when they play games with the homeo genes and produce legs growing out of the head.
 
selfAdjoint said:
Or when they play games with the homeo genes and produce legs growing out of the head.
Or when zoobies mutate them by mispluralization.
 
DaveC426913 said:
This came to me last night while falling asleep. I just had to see how it looked. Maybe some rainy day, I'll pop by the hobby shop and kit bash it.
Some things just aren't meant to be. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

That's post WWII. :-p
 
Anyway, my favorite WWII plane is the beautiful B-17. Actually, it's my all time favorite plane.

galloway.jpg
 
DaveC426913 said:
This came to me last night while falling asleep. I just had to see how it looked. Maybe some rainy day, I'll pop by the hobby shop and kit bash it.
Nice job on the image! But pilots would have hated it with a passion. Quiz question -- why?
 
berkeman said:
Nice job on the image! But pilots would have hated it with a passion. Quiz question -- why?
For one thing it would have terrible forward visibility.

Let's not even mention drag!
 
Integral said:
For one thing it would have terrible forward visibility.

Let's not even mention drag!
I was going to say the same thing. A pilot couldn't see what's coming at 12 o'clock. To much forward visibility would be compromised. :rolleyes: I have to wonder if the struts would be strong enough, too.
 
zoobyshoe said:
Anyway, my favorite WWII plane is the beautiful B-17. Actually, it's my all time favorite plane.
The B-29 is my favorite 4 engine craft.

For fighters it's hard to pick a favorite, but it would be the P-47 Thunderbolt or P-38 Lightning, but I also like the Supermarine Spitfire and Vought Corsair, and then there is the DeHaviland Mosquito, which is really cool. I'd be happy to fly any of them. :-p :biggrin:
 
berkeman said:
Hey, speaking of airplane quiz questions, does anybody know why the WWII F4-U Corsair had bent wings? I finally found out why, and the answer is pretty interesting. Why do the wing roots bend down, and then back up for the rest of the wing?

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...144&prev=/images?q=corsair&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=


Because to land on an aircraft carrier the struts had to be small to take the forces, and yet allow the propellor arc to clear the flight deck. :rolleyes:

I know a guy who flew F-4U's during the war. His name is "Mo-Chance". Gota pic of him in his plane. Ill post it in a bit.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
Because to land on an aircraft carrier the struts had to be small to take the forces, and yet allow the propellor arc to clear the flight deck. :rolleyes:
Ding ding ding. We have a winnah. BTW, the rest of the explanation that I heard was that the Corsair had an unusually large and powerful engine, and Vaught wanted to use a bigger propeller to take advantage of the extra power. But the landing struts ended up too long for carrier landings as Cyrus says, so that's why they bent the wing roots down.

The whole time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron on TV many years ago, I kept trying to figure out some aerodynamic reason for the bend...never did get it. Until I heard the explanation years later on a documentary show on the Military Channel.
 
DaveC426913 said:
This came to me last night while falling asleep. I just had to see how it looked. Maybe some rainy day, I'll pop by the hobby shop and kit bash it.

LJ061027F86.jpg


And if anyone wants to see http://www.jetplanes.co.uk/vintageaircraft/sabre-picture2.jpg" ...


You really did a bang up job fotoshopping there my friend, Fooled me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Ding ding ding. We have a winnah. BTW, the rest of the explanation that I heard was that the Corsair had an unusually large and powerful engine, and Vaught wanted to use a bigger propeller to take advantage of the extra power. But the landing struts ended up too long for carrier landings as Cyrus says, so that's why they bent the wing roots down.

The whole time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron on TV many years ago, I kept trying to figure out some aerodynamic reason for the bend...never did get it. Until I heard the explanation years later on a documentary show on the Military Channel.


Here is a question for you buddy, how did they come up with the folding wings on the Hellcat?
 
Yes, they do fold. Keep searching, though you only have one foot left. :wink: :smile:

Here's a pic of Mo.

mo.jpg
 
Last edited:
http://63.192.133.13/VMF-312/New_MOChance.jpg

Mo in the bottom F4-U (530).


http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3759/3flightlo1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Hmm An F86 Bi-plane. You may be on to something here Dave.:smile:
I call it the Sopwith F86 Sabre because I'm thinking about pairing it with a Fokker-Mig15 Triplane! (in red)
 
Astronuc said:
That's post WWII. :-p
Slaps forehead. You know, I just didn't even think when I wrote that. Should've said Korean...
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
Because to land on an aircraft carrier the struts had to be small to take the forces, and yet allow the propellor arc to clear the flight deck. :rolleyes:
Huh. I always wondered that too. I too assumed some aerodynamic thing.

So, is that true for the Stuka too?
 
bi-planes work at LOW speed
wing tip votex kill speed by interaction
 
ray b said:
bi-planes work at LOW speed
wing tip votex kill speed by interaction


True in general, but I remember some speculative constructions from the early 60's that found arrangements where that doen't necessarily happen. I believe I saw one that was claimed to be supersonic. This is when that was a hot topic and the "area rule" was new.
 
ray b said:
Stuka had fixed landing gear
and was not a carrier plane
That's what I thought too. So why the strange wing configuration? Can't be for the same reason as the Corsair.
 
It could be for a similar reason. Low wing position allows shorter landing gear struts which cause less drag and are probably stronger - an advantage when you need to operate out of rough air-strips.