Most probable radii in hydrogen ?

• Thread starter khurram usman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, the most probable radii for the 1s, 2s, and 3s orbitals in hydrogen are 6a, 11a, and a=bohrs radius for 1st shell respectively. These values are obtained by solving equations for probability through differentiation and setting it equal to 0. One can also solve for the "expectation value" or the average location of the electron in the hydrogen atom. This concept is commonly covered in introductory quantum mechanics books.
khurram usman
most probable radii in hydrogen...?

i just started studying quantum mechanics in college...i was told that according to quantum theory the most probable radii of 1s 2s and 3s in hydrogen are respectively a 6a and 11a, where a=bohrs radius for 1st shell
sir told me that we get these values by solving equations for probability...something about differentiating it and then putting it equal to 0
can anyone please provide me any link where these equations and hopefully more numerical problems are solved? i googled this but could not find anything understandable...so please provide something for starters
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, just like with everyday functions we play with in calculus, if you want to find an extrema, you have to differentiate the function and set that equal to zero and solve. For the hydrogen atom, it is no different. One uses the probability density function and solves for the most probable radius. One can also solve for the "expectation value" or where one would find the electron in the hydrogen if probed many times. In general these are not the same value. I don't have a link for you, sorry... but this is treated commonly in most intro QM books, like Griffiths.

Good luck.

1. What is the most probable radius in hydrogen?

The most probable radius in hydrogen refers to the most likely distance between the nucleus and the electron in a hydrogen atom. It is also known as the Bohr radius, named after Niels Bohr who first calculated its value.

2. How is the most probable radius in hydrogen calculated?

The most probable radius in hydrogen can be calculated using the Bohr model, which takes into account the electron's energy and the attractive force of the nucleus. The formula for the most probable radius is given by r = 0.529 * n^2 / Z, where n is the principal quantum number and Z is the atomic number.

3. What is the significance of the most probable radius in hydrogen?

The most probable radius in hydrogen is significant because it determines the size and stability of the atom. It also helps in understanding the energy levels and transitions of the electron within the atom.

4. How does the most probable radius in hydrogen compare to the actual radius?

The most probable radius in hydrogen is an average value and does not represent the exact location of the electron. The actual radius of the electron's orbit in hydrogen can vary and is described by the wave function instead of a single value.

5. Does the most probable radius in hydrogen change for different energy levels?

Yes, the most probable radius in hydrogen changes with the energy level of the electron. As the energy level increases, the most probable radius also increases, indicating a larger distance between the electron and the nucleus.