Most revolutionary physicist/s currently

• Thread starter Futuregen600
  • Start date
In summary, there is no one person that is "revolutionary" in all of physics right now. There are many people who are extremely intelligent and have made many revolutionary proposals. Fundamental science is not like sport or horse races, in which even failed approaches have propaedeutic value. There is much more value in trying to understand the established concepts and sitting on the latest giants, rather than trying to figure out who the "revolutionary" figure is.
Futuregen600
it is hard to say who is the best physicist of all time, since there are so many fields of physics, and so many people are extremely intelligent in this fields..

but talking currently.. what physicist/s comes to your mind, currently.. that is sort of a revolutionary figure in physics right now, it can be 1 person or many people... just what revolutionary guys, currently come to your mind...

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought is that there is none.

ModusPwnd said:
My first thought is that there is none.

there isn't anyone that you can think of.. that is sort of "revolutionary" in any physics field

I don't know people in the science community well enough, so I can't really comment myself.

I think the big revolution that physics is having/will have is with the mass exodus of physicists from physics departments to biology, chemistry and other departments that deal with complex systems and higher level, non-reductionist models.

Also, physics and all science is such a highly orchestrated collaborative event that expecting there to be one or a few revolutionary figures at any given time might be a stretch.

Phil Anderson?

i don't see any revolutionary physicist since the death of einstein

some say edward witten, but much of his theories is unproven and much less useful, imho

arabianights said:
some say edward witten, but much of his theories is unproven and much less useful, imho
And not even capitalizing proper nouns qualifies for what again ?

Fundamental science is not like sport or horse races. Even failed approaches can have propaedeutic value. Although Newton did not mean it in as a compliment, researchers do "sit on the shoulders of giants". Therefore, there is not much value in trying to classify speculative ideas in fundamental physics. There is much more value in trying to understand for oneself the established concepts, sitting on the latest giants and making one's own mind as to which speculation will be the most fruitful in the future.

This being said, and because Ed Witten is being bullied here, I will take a couple of examples related but not restricted to him. There are a great many people to praise for the revolutionary concepts they put forward. Their proposal may not be as straightforward to grasp as fancy colorful science-fiction movie graphical animations, but they also go much deeper and wider.

So take Witten's most cited paper over the last decade. Dec 2003 "Perturbative gauge theory in twistor space". As it turns out, Roger Penrose has been insisting that we need to use his twistor formulation. His arguments are not just technical, but also extend to a full philosophical discussion and picture. Maybe because Penrose's background is in general relativity, the particle physics community has not been listening much. But after Witten's paper in 2003, the twistor methods have boomed all the way into Monte-Carlo generators essentials for the analysis of data coming out of the LHC. Penrose's proposal has only very few rivals in elegance, breadth and depth. I would urge anybody interested to know more to read his "Road to Reality", which is a true masterpiece in the communication of modern science.

One possible candidate for a revolutionary shift in our picture of the fundamental laws is Alain Connes' non-commutative geometry. In the beginning of the previous century, Einstein proposed to use non-euclidean geometries. We are talking about the same kind of shift : opening the possibilities for geometries which are qualitatively different. Connes likes to tell the story of a well known theoretician who walked out of a seminar Connes gave long ago. When they recently and randomly met aboard a train, the well known theoretician approached Connes and starts asking him questions. Surprised, Connes reminds him of the time he walked out of the seminar. The answer : "but I recently saw Witten hold your book in a library".

This last example should also illustrate the influence Ed Witten has on modern physics. Whether one agrees with him or not, the influence cannot be denied.

Alain Connes has also written the most beautiful speculative paper I have ever read, with Carlo Rovelli :
Von Neumann Algebra Automorphisms and Time-Thermodynamics Relation in General Covariant Quantum Theories

1. Who is considered the most revolutionary physicist currently?

The most commonly agreed upon answer to this question is Stephen Hawking. Hawking made groundbreaking contributions to our understanding of black holes, cosmology, and the universe as a whole.

2. What are some other notable revolutionary physicists currently?

Other notable names in the field of physics include Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, and Lisa Randall. Each of these individuals has made significant contributions to their respective fields and continue to push the boundaries of our understanding of the universe.

3. What makes a physicist considered "revolutionary"?

A revolutionary physicist is someone who has made groundbreaking contributions to the field of physics, often challenging conventional theories and expanding our understanding of the universe. They may also be known for their innovative research methods and ability to think outside the box.

4. How do these physicists impact our daily lives?

While some of their work may seem abstract and theoretical, the contributions of revolutionary physicists have had a significant impact on our daily lives. From advancements in technology and medicine to our understanding of the universe and the laws of nature, their research and discoveries have shaped our world in countless ways.

5. Can anyone become a revolutionary physicist?

While it takes a great deal of intelligence, curiosity, and hard work to make groundbreaking contributions to the field of physics, anyone with a passion for science and a desire to push the boundaries of knowledge has the potential to become a revolutionary physicist. It also requires a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, and the ability to think creatively.