1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most useful language for math/physics

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance regarding which foreign language might be most useful for an academic career in math or physics. I realize nearly everything is done in English now, but if you were forced to choose a second language, what would you learn? Russian? German? Chinese? Latin?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2
    Probably Latin, it was the academic standard for a while, so you'll be able to read the original versions of quite a few old textbooks.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

eri

I studied Russian, and that never came in useful. Not once. I wish I had taken Spanish (I spent a lot of time in South America while working on my PhD) and Germany (spent some time in Germany as well). Latin and Chinese never would have come in useful for me.

5. Jul 12, 2012 #4
    French !
    they are good in math !
    and in France the universities are almost free !

6. Jul 12, 2012 #5
    Russian. Landau, Kholmogorov, Fomin, Tolstov . . . enough said. Ohh, Gogol, Dostoyevsky, Bulgakhov... I have heard its very difficult to learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook