Mothballing an FT/IR Spectrometer

In summary, the speaker is an expert in operating their employer's FT/IR Spectrometer and is facing the challenge of properly mothballing the machine. They have been advised to contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Keln
I have the wonderful privilege of being the one user and conveniently described subject matter expert over the operation of my employer's FT/IR Spectrometer, one Bruker Optics Tensor 27 hunk of plastic, metal, and rather toxic pieces parts.

For reasons only known to the Department of Energy, my current project is facing the same fate as the parrot in the Parrot Skit of Monty Python. My question is, how do I properly mothball this rather expensive machine? Even when I am not running samples, I still run tests on it quarterly, as well as changing out the "desiccant" (molecular sieve specifically). I've been told numerous times that using actual desiccant (such as silica) is a bad bad thing.

I don't know, my expertise falls into the category of nuclei fissioning, so I am not the best person to ask on this.

How do I store this rather expensive piece of equipment so it might live to sample another day?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them. That's probably the best way of going about it.

1. What is the purpose of mothballing an FT/IR spectrometer?

Mothballing an FT/IR spectrometer involves putting the instrument into a state of preservation where it can be stored for extended periods of time without being used. This is typically done to protect the instrument from damage or degradation and to ensure its functionality when it is needed again.

2. How do you properly prepare an FT/IR spectrometer for mothballing?

To properly prepare an FT/IR spectrometer for mothballing, it is important to clean the instrument thoroughly, remove any samples or materials, and ensure that all components are in good working condition. It is also recommended to perform any necessary maintenance and calibration procedures before mothballing.

3. How should an FT/IR spectrometer be stored during mothballing?

An FT/IR spectrometer should be stored in a clean and dry environment, preferably in a temperature and humidity-controlled room. It should also be covered or sealed to protect it from dust, moisture, and other contaminants. If possible, the instrument should be stored in its original packaging or a protective case.

4. How often should an FT/IR spectrometer be checked while in mothballing?

It is recommended to check on an FT/IR spectrometer in mothballing at least once every 3 to 6 months. This allows for any potential issues to be identified and addressed before they become major problems. It is also important to perform regular maintenance and calibration procedures during these check-ins.

5. How do you bring an FT/IR spectrometer out of mothballing?

To bring an FT/IR spectrometer out of mothballing, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and recommendations. This typically involves cleaning and inspecting the instrument, performing any necessary maintenance and calibration procedures, and ensuring that all components are in good working condition. It is also recommended to run some test samples to ensure the instrument is functioning properly before using it for any important analyses.