Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mother bear kills cub and then itself

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    Alright so this is one of the more bizarre articles I have read in recent history...thought you might be interested.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html

Feel free to discuss the article but I was more interested in the mental capacity of the bear to perform this. Is this "normal"? Do other animals display suicidal behavior under sustained harsh conditions - like many of the cows, and chickens experience before being slaughtered?

Poor bears :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2011 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More likely, it was panic...both strangling the cub trying to carry it away, and then injuring herself so badly running into walls looking for an escape.

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3
    I really doubt it was trying to kill itself. It was probably just very scared and did something stupid.

5. Aug 12, 2011 #4
    Some of these chinese people make me sick.

6. Aug 13, 2011 #5
    A lot of things some people do make me sick. Most people have better sense.

I wonder if the article was doctored to give anguishing human qualities to the mother bear so they could sell more reprints.

7. Aug 15, 2011 #6
    The world's suffering never ceases to amaze. Distribution of such articles does help bring light to bad situations and puts pressure on them to stop.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  8. Aug 15, 2011 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Some times i am disgusted by human nature, this is one of them.

9. Aug 15, 2011 #8
    Anthropomorphism? Is that the term for when humans project human stuff onto rocks and animals?

10. Aug 16, 2011 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  11. Aug 16, 2011 #10
    unbearable for mother.

12. Aug 16, 2011 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It even says in the article it's not uncommon for the bears to try to kill themselves

13. Aug 16, 2011 #12
    Couldn't have said better...

The people who do this realize the bears are suffering, because they try to suicide. But they just don't care, how can they have no empathy at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook