Motion in Two Dimensions (Vectors)

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the distance a baseball would fall vertically if thrown horizontally at a velocity of 101.0 mi/hr. The initial attempt at solving the problem had incorrect units, but after converting everything to feet and seconds, the correct solution was found using the equation delta(y) = v(initial)(y)(t) + (1/2)gt^2. The final answer was 2.71 ft, but it was noted to be careful with signs and to use the acceleration due to gravity (g = 32.2 ft/s^2) to save a step in the calculation.
BBallman_08

Homework Statement

One of the fastest recorded pitches in major league baseball, thrown by Billy Wagner in 2003, was clocked at 101.0 mi/hr. If a pitch were thrown horizontally with this velocity, how far would the ball fall vertically ( in feet ) by the time it reaches home plate, 60.5 feet away?

Homework Equations

T1 = Delta(X)/ V1
Delta (Y) = Vo T + (1/2) A T^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Delta (Y) = (0)t + (1/2) (-21.9 mi/hr) (.000099 hr)
Delta (Y) = -1.07 * 10^-7 mi OR 5.66 * 10 ^-4 FT

This answer doesn't seem correct at all, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, without looking too hard at this:

Are you sure your units are correct? Your first calculation has miles and hours, but then you state your answer in feet.

Thats what I found so difficult about the problem, was all of the conversions between units... Would it be easier to solve for everything in miles and then muliply times 5290 feet after the solution? I am really confused with this one.

I personally would convert everything into feet and seconds, since g = 32.2 ft/s^2 (I think, I'm used to metric). But it doesn't really matter, as long as everything is consistent it should work either way.

So try to convert 101.0 mi/hr into ft/s. That should make everything easier.

How can I go about finding time, because V=Vi + at doesn't work with what I am given?

The time for the ball to reach the plate? You use the first equation you listed up under Relevant Equations, it is correct since the velocity of the ball in the horizontal direction remains constant. I think your method is OK, you just need to get the units right. Are you stuck on the conversion?

The Vinitial(X) and Vfinal(X) are 148.4 ft/s, correct? If so, I think I have it...

.41 Sec = t

How would I go about solving for the velocity?

I don't understand, you already have the velocity. :confused:

All there is left to do is find the distance the ball drops in the vertical direction as it travels the 60.5 ft.

I've noticed there is an error in your initial calculation for delta(y), you forgot to square the time term.

Don't I need a separate velocity for the Y component of the problem?

Don't I need a separate velocity for the Y component of the problem?

No, because you've been given enough information that you don't need it. You know the initial vertical velocity is zero, since the ball was released horizontally. You have found the time of travel, so you know how long the ball is falling for as it travels. You also know the acceleration it is experiencing due to gravity. Looking at your second equation, we see that you have the numbers for all of the variables present. So you can solve it to find the distance the ball dropped.

okay, thanks! So here is what I have:

Delta (Y) = Vinitial(Y) (t) + (1/2) g t^2

= 0(t) + (1/2) (-9.8) (.41^2)

Delta (Y) = 2.71 ft

Is this correct?

Thanks for the great help!

That looks reasonable to me, but be careful of your signs. You could have use g = 32.2 ft/s^2 to get the answer directly in feet, and saved yourself a step. Eh, works either way.

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you represent a vector in two dimensions?

A vector in two dimensions can be represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors in two dimensions?

To add or subtract vectors in two dimensions, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method. For the head-to-tail method, you simply place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the two original vectors. For the parallelogram method, you draw the two vectors as sides of a parallelogram, and the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector in two dimensions?

The magnitude of a vector in two dimensions can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. If the vector has components in the x and y directions (represented as Vx and Vy), the magnitude (represented as |V|) can be calculated as |V| = √(Vx2 + Vy2).

5. Can vectors in two dimensions be multiplied?

No, vectors in two dimensions cannot be multiplied. However, they can be multiplied by a scalar (a real number) to change their magnitude. This is known as scalar multiplication.