1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Problem with two moving masses

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    A block of mass m slides down a ramp. At the bottom, it strikes a block of mass M, which is at rest on a horizontal surface. If the collision is elastic and friction can be ignored, determine the upper limit on mass m if it is to rebound from M, slide up the ramp, stop, slide back down the ramp and collide with M again.

So I have found that:

m(Vi)^2 = m(Vf)^2 + M(W)^2

And that m can only catch M if the velocity Vf is greater than W so the limit becomes Vf=W.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The block M is in rest initially, so the other block certainly catches it.

You need to give the limit for m compared to M, so the block of mass m travels backwards after collision. There is one more conservation law you need to take into account.

ehild

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    Is it momentum? If so then mVi = mVf + Mw

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Now find the relation between Vi and Vf, using both conservation laws.What is the condition of m so that it can catch M when slides down the ramp second time, that is |Vf|≥W?

ehild

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. Sep 10, 2013 #5
    Do I do this simultaneously? By substituting one of the equations into the other?

7. Sep 10, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, do it.

ehild

8. Sep 10, 2013 #7
    What variable should I be eliminating?

9. Sep 10, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the equations
    m(Vi2-Vf2)=MW2
    and
    m(Vi-Vf)=MW

Does not it look easier to eliminate W ? Square the second equation and divide the first one with it.

ehild

10. Sep 10, 2013 #9
    So from that I get:

m=M(Vi^2 - Vf^2)/(Vi - Vf)^2

Where do I progress from here?

11. Sep 10, 2013 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Factorize Vi^2-vf^2 and simplify.

12. Sep 10, 2013 #11
    So now I get that m=M(Vi + Vf)/(Vi - Vf). So this means that m is smaller than M by a factor of (Vi + Vf)/(Vi - Vf).

Is this the limit?

13. Sep 10, 2013 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you need the limit in terms of M.

Isolate Vf. It must be negative in order that m return back to the slope. What does it mean for m compared to M?

m goes up on the slope and then returns back. Without friction, it reaches the bottom with the same speed. It can catch M if that speed |Vf| exceeds the speed of M .

So you have to find bot Vf and W in terms of m/M and Vi, and find m/M from the condition |Vf|≥W.

ehild

14. Sep 10, 2013 #13
    So if I rearrange that equation in terms of M I find that M=m(Vi - Vf)/(Vi + Vf).

15. Sep 10, 2013 #14
    Ah I see that m is Larger than M

16. Sep 10, 2013 #15
    So I find that w/Vf= 2m/(m-M) is that correct?

17. Sep 10, 2013 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, just the opposite. m must go up to the slope so it has to move backwards after the collision, That means negative Vf. Vf<0.

ehild

18. Sep 10, 2013 #17

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is al right. Now you have to ensure that the block of mass m catches the larger block.

ehild

19. Sep 10, 2013 #18
    Is this where Vf≥w? as vf≥w, then w/vf must be less than or equal to one. So then 1≥2m/(M-m).

20. Sep 10, 2013 #19

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The magnitude of Vf is greater than W. Yes, 1≥2m/(M-m). What does it mean for m?

ehild

21. Sep 10, 2013 #20
    That M must be greater than or equal to 3m if m is to catch up with M and collide a second time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted