Motivation for substitution h=x-a in Cauchy functional equation proof

  • Thread starter Thread starter albert1993
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuous Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
albert1993
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem is: Suppose f is a function with the property f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for x,y in the reals. suppose f is continuous at 0. show f is continuous everywhere.

I saw this post as an alternative solution that doesn't use epsilon-delta:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1987108&postcount=4

But I'm not sure how one would be motivated to set h=x-a...
I know it's a nice step and all that ultimately proves the statement, but what would be the main motivation for this?

NOTE: I understand this solution fully. I just want to know how one is motivated to think this way...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The best answer is try to prove it by yourself. Forget the proof you just saw. Start by trying to prove limit f(x) as x->0 must be 0. Then try and prove it your own way.
 
Last edited:
We were given that f is continuous at x= 0 and want to show that it is continuous at x= a. So I would think the "translation" x-> x- a that maps a to 0 would be obvious.