How Does Sincov's Functional Equation Validate the Condition F(x,y) = F(0, y-x)?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter filip97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functional
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
filip97
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I read Aczel book "Lectures of functional equations an their applications".

On page 223. (Sincov's equation) is equation :

##F(x,y)+F(y,z)=F(x,z)##

and general solution of this

##F(x,y)=g(x)−g(y)##

, but how I prove that this function satisfies conditions

##F(x,y)=F(0,y−x)##

??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am skeptical whether your last equation holds.
For example
[tex]F(a,b)=\int_a^b f(u)du[/tex]
satisfies the first and the second equations but
[tex]F(a,b)=\int_a^b f(u)du \neq \int_0^{b-a} f(u)du=F(0,b-a)[/tex]
unless f(u) is periodic, i.e.
[tex]f(u)=f(u+a)[/tex]
for any a, so constant.
[tex]F(a,b)=c(b-a)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
filip97 said:
and general solution of this

##F(x,y)=g(x)−g(y)##

My copy of Aczel says the general solution is ##F(x,y) = g(y) - g(x)##.
 
filip97 said:
, but how I prove that this function satisfies conditions

##F(x,y)=F(0,y−x)##

??

Aczel's book doesn't say explicitly that the equation

##F(x,y) + F(y,z) = F(x,z)## implies ##F(x,y) = F(0,y-x)##

The book states
Equation (1) can also be considered as a generalization or as an inhomogeneous form of Cauchy's basic equation 2.2.1 (1) into which it is transformed with:
##F(x,y) = F(0,y-x) = f(y-x)##
In fact, this involves ##f(y-x) + f(z-y) = f(z-x)##, that is 2.1.1(1).

Cauchy's equation 2.2.1 (1) is ##f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)##
 
I think Aczel asserts implications in the following direction:

Assume ##F(A,B) = f(B-A)##

Then ##F(0, y-x) = f(y-x-0) = f(y-x) = F(x,y)##
and
##F(A,B) + F(B,C) = f(B-A) + f(C-B)##.

If we also assume ## F(A,B) + F(B,C) = F(A,C)## then we must have
##f(B-A) + f(C-B) = f(C-A)##.
Letting ##x = B-A, y = C-B## this implies
##f(x) + f(y) = F( A,C) = f(C-A) = f( (y+B) - (B-x)) = f(y+x) = f(x+y)##
So ##f## satisifes ##f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)##