Functional Equation (Probably needs a CAS)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the possible values of f(2), f'(2), and the limit of x*f(x) as x approaches 0, given the conditions f'(x)>0 for all positive x and f(x)+(1/x)=f^-1(1/f(x)). The attempt at a solution involves guessing and solving a quadratic equation, but it is unclear if there are other possible solutions or how to use a computer algebra system to find them.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

If f'(x)>0 for all real positive x, where f:R+ ---> R and
f(x)+(1/x)=f-1(1/(f(x))),

f-1(1/(f(x)))>0 for all x>0. Find all the possible values of (i) f(2),(ii) f'(2) and (iii) Limit (x f(x)) as x ----->0 .

The Attempt at a Solution

Guessing from the last part, I intuitively, took f(x) = k/x. Using this, I get a quadratic in k which yields that k might be [tex]\frac{1 (+/-) \sqrt{5} }{2}[/tex]. But this was just a guess. And there might still be other functions which satisfy that equation. I wonder if they could be manually solved for.
All that I need from you guys is to check out if all the possible solutions of this equation can be solved manually or not. If not, please let me know how can I get solutions to this equation using a Computer Algebra System. Actually, I have both Matlab R2008a and Mathematica 7 but I don't know how to use them to solve functional equations involving inverses. If anyone of you could provide me the syntax for these CAS on how to solve functional equations, I shall be very grateful.
Thanks.
Ritwik

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ritwik! Thanks for the PM! :smile:

Yes, f(x) = (1 ± √5)/2x certainly works …

I think you've done very well to get that!

Sorry, but I haven't a clue how to get any other solution :redface:

(and I don't know any computing)

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation that involves an unknown function, rather than just unknown variables. It typically involves the relationship between the input and output values of a function.

2. Why do we need a CAS (Computer Algebra System) for functional equations?

A CAS is useful for solving complex functional equations because it can handle a large number of variables, equations, and operations. It can also provide step-by-step solutions and check for errors in the calculations.

3. How can functional equations be used in science?

Functional equations can be used in various scientific fields including physics, engineering, and economics to model real-world systems and analyze their behavior. They can also be used to solve optimization problems and make predictions.

4. Can all functional equations be solved exactly?

No, not all functional equations can be solved exactly. Some equations may not have a closed-form solution, meaning they cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find a solution.

5. What are some applications of functional equations in mathematics?

Functional equations are widely used in mathematics to study various types of functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. They are also used to prove theorems and solve problems in areas such as number theory, geometry, and algebra.