1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional Equation (Probably needs a CAS)

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f'(x)>0 for all real positive x, where f:R+ ---> R and
    f(x)+(1/x)=f-1(1/(f(x))),

f-1(1/(f(x)))>0 for all x>0. Find all the possible values of (i) f(2),(ii) f'(2) and (iii) Limit (x f(x)) as x ----->0 .

3. The attempt at a solution
    Guessing from the last part, I intuitively, took f(x) = k/x. Using this, I get a quadratic in k which yields that k might be [tex]\frac{1 (+/-) \sqrt{5} }{2}[/tex]. But this was just a guess. And there might still be other functions which satisfy that equation. I wonder if they could be manually solved for.
    All that I need from you guys is to check out if all the possible solutions of this equation can be solved manually or not. If not, please let me know how can I get solutions to this equation using a Computer Algebra System. Actually, I have both Matlab R2008a and Mathematica 7 but I dont know how to use them to solve functional equations involving inverses. If anyone of you could provide me the syntax for these CAS on how to solve functional equations, I shall be very grateful.
    Thanks.
    Ritwik

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ritwik! Thanks for the PM! :smile:

Yes, f(x) = (1 ± √5)/2x certainly works …

I think you've done very well to get that!

Sorry, but I haven't a clue how to get any other solution :redface:

(and I don't know any computing)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook