Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie Night! October 14-21

1. Jurrasic Park

14.3%
  2. Serpico

14.3%
  3. Ancient Aliens

71.4%
  1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    So the winners of the draw today are:

Jurrasic Park
    Serpico
    and
    Ancient Aliens!

Vote for the next 24 hours on which you want to watch as a group :).
    We'll use this thread for any movie talk as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2
    Don't know how to add a poll, but I vote for Ancient Aliens :).

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Poll added :smile:

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    These are three very strange options :)

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    I saw this one. An undercover cop from NY investigates claims of living dinosaurs that turn out to be ancient aliens.

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6
    If I could watch, I would vote Ancient Aliens. I always heard of Modern Aliens but never Ancient ones before!

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The sequel is where the aliens end up escaping into NY and terrorising the city, only to later befriend a boy and his flying bike, then leaving in peace.

9. Oct 15, 2012 #8
    Done deal everyone :). The movie for this week is Ancient Aliens, Episode 1!

You can watch it on youtube or use whatever legal means you prefer to get a hold of it!

Chat about it here, or in the actual chatroom.

10. Oct 15, 2012 #9
    I watched all I could take. I'll wait for next week's movie.

11. Oct 15, 2012 #10
    Hahaha, that bad eh?
    I'm pumped to hate this tomorrow night!

12. Oct 16, 2012 #11

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gwaaah! :cry::mad::cry:

From around 8:30:00 to around 10:30:00 the show seems to explain its own their own abomination of a technique that the show itself seems to follow as a rule (up to where I am so far anyway). Allow me to exaggerate a little (just a little) in a hypothetical conversation to express my point.

Mr. Narrator:
    How could it be that civilizations living 4000 years ago knew that two plus two is equal to five? How could a primitive civilization have known Maxwell's equations of electromagnetic field theory and used it to harness electricity, or build a modern computer running Red Hat Linux? That would be tantamount to finding a jet airplane in the tomb of King Tut! And whom was these non-natural, enormous, structures, only visible from high altitudes, detailing the complete scripts of the both series "Melrose Place" and "The OC," intended for?​
    Me:
    But Mr. Narrator, the claims you are making are incorrect. Nobody claimed that 2+2=5. Nor did any ancient civilization build a computer (as we know it today). Nor any of the other stuff. You're making unfounded assumptions. They are misleading.​
    Mr Narrator:
    I'm not making any assumptions/claims. I'm just asking questions. Did you not see the question marks? There were 3 question marks in my last set of statements; did you not count them? Okay, so now we're in agreement about the number of question marks, I must be telling the truth. So now that we agree that Aliens were an integral part of ancient society, where did they come from?*
    *(Don't forget to notice the question mark in that last sentence, meaning I'm not making a claim, but rather just asking a question.)​

I'm not sure I'm going to make it through the whole show.** :yuck:

**Or, could it be that I will make it through the whole show?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  13. Oct 16, 2012 #12

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I ended up falling asleep about half way through. In the show's defense, I was quite tired when I started watching it (as might be evident by several grammar mistakes in my previous post).

But I suppose we have 'till next week to finish watching it, right?

14. Oct 16, 2012 #13
    Some experts claim that the show isn't as bad as it looks and sounds.

15. Oct 16, 2012 #14
    Lol, that expert is Jimmy Snyder.

But no Jurassic Park votes? Come on people, am I the only one that loves dinosaurs?

Who cares about green midgets when you have amazing gigantic beats prowling around?

16. Oct 17, 2012 #15
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536543_486462914708058_1961116100_n.jpg

But seriously, not a horrible exhibition of theories, but horribly presented.
    I enjoyed the broken city with the exceptional machined-stone the best. As a casual machinist, I wish I could have been there to see them stressing out about every cut.

17. Oct 30, 2012 #16

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What ever happened to movie night? Should we pick a movie for next week?

18. Oct 30, 2012 #17
    I forgot about movie night, so... Are we just watching the movie and reporting back? It would seem like I'd be spending money to watch a film "thinking" others are watching at the same time. No reflection, just lonely-self and popcorn, and my imagination?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook