Moving Across the Country(Concerns about degree)

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, if you want to avoid any negative consequences from omitting your school from your resume, it is best to list it.
lubuntu
Hey,

So I did a search and couldn't find much on this topic, maybe mostly since I don't know to word it correctly.

Anyway, when I finish my degree in a year or two I plan on packing up and leaving the blistering cold and humid heat of the northeast for sunny warm Northern California, particularly SF. I am majoring in EE/CE so I figure there are some good opportunities out there plus I just want to go because I'm sick of my home state. Problem is that my degree, while of course from an ABET program isn't from a nationally recognized school(It's from the second best Public Uni in the state, out of 4). How much is this going to hurt me? I plan on packing up and moving out as soon as I am done so I would be hoping to find me first "real" job in SF.

Granted I'm going to try to have a good internship at what will probably be a well known national company, since my uni has good local industry ties are and I am in the number 2 or 3 top technology job area in the US probably. But how difficult will I find it getting a job somewhere 3000 miles away if my potential employers aren't familiar with my school?

Corollary: When you make up a resume is it dishonest or frowned upon to not put the campus you attended? For example: Say you had went to University of Texas-Dallas or something and you just put UoT on your resume? I mean it will probably encourage people to find that you went to that nationally known campus in Austin but it's not incorrect and might just be more straightforward to someone with no knowledge of that locale?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not answering your question, but you might want to look up the weather statistics before you make your move. San Francisco is not as warm and sunny as you might think...

Yea I know, but compared to where I am the weather is amazing.

You need to put the campus you attended on your resume. Interviewers will not be impressed if you are trying to be artfully vague. There are not enough graduates from nationally recognized schools to fill all the positions, so you definitely have a chance.

It is usually easier to find a job when there is some connection between your specific school and the company or industry you are applying to, but that does not mean it cannot happen. People move all the time, so this is not an unusual circumstance.

lubuntu said:
I am majoring in EE/CE so I figure there are some good opportunities out there plus I just want to go because I'm sick of my home state. Problem is that my degree, while of course from an ABET program isn't from a nationally recognized school(It's from the second best Public Uni in the state, out of 4). How much is this going to hurt me?

It isn't. EECS is odd because most employers don't care much if you have an ABET program or even if you majored in EECS at al.

But how difficult will I find it getting a job somewhere 3000 miles away if my potential employers aren't familiar with my school?

People aren't going to care much. They are going to ask you EE and CS questions in the interview and if you can answer them, they won't care much where you went to school.

Corollary: When you make up a resume is it dishonest or frowned upon to not put the campus you attended?

It's not a good idea. If you leave out information like this, people will assume the worst, and the worst is usually worse than the truth. Either the person reading the interview will know or care about UT Dallas versus UT Austin or they won't. If they know or care, they will think that something is weird and if something is weird you aren't going to get the interview. If they don't know and care, then it's not going to help you.

If the employer cares about UT pecking order, and you put UT, then the employer is likely to assume that you got the degree from UT Permian Basin or UT Tyler, which isn't going to help you.

Last edited:

What should I consider before moving across the country for a degree?

Before making the decision to move across the country for a degree, there are a few key factors to consider. First, research the cost of living in the new location to determine if it is affordable. Second, think about the potential job opportunities and career prospects in the new city. Third, consider the quality and reputation of the educational institution you plan to attend. Lastly, think about the impact that moving will have on your personal relationships and support system.

How can I prepare for the challenges of moving across the country for a degree?

Moving across the country for a degree can be a daunting task, but there are steps you can take to prepare for the challenges. Start by creating a budget and saving money for the move. Next, research housing options and start looking for a place to live. It's also important to familiarize yourself with the new city and its culture. Additionally, reach out to current students or alumni from the educational institution you plan to attend for advice and guidance.

What are some potential benefits of moving across the country for a degree?

Moving across the country for a degree can have numerous benefits. First and foremost, you will have access to a top-quality education that may not be available in your current location. Additionally, moving to a new city can expand your professional network and open up new job opportunities. It can also be a great opportunity for personal growth and independence.

What are some common challenges faced by students who move across the country for a degree?

While moving across the country for a degree can have many benefits, it can also come with its own set of challenges. Some common challenges include adjusting to a new city and culture, finding affordable housing, managing the cost of living, and being away from familiar support systems. It's important to plan ahead and be prepared for these challenges.

Is it worth it to move across the country for a degree?

Ultimately, the decision to move across the country for a degree depends on your individual circumstances and goals. It's important to carefully weigh the potential benefits and challenges before making a decision. Consider the program, the location, and your personal situation to determine if it is worth it for you. Keep in mind that earning a degree from a reputable institution can have a significant impact on your future career opportunities and earning potential.