Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: MPC5674F Processor and 32-bit address

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm not sure where to start with the following question. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It is part of some challenging questions I was given and I'd like to try to learn how to solve them.

Assume unsigned32 X; Consider the MPC5674F processor. The 32 bit address of the Flash B Shadow Block starts at X. Use whatever resources you have to find X.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure even where to start! I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction towards at least starting off.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It's not clear what the goal is here, is it to find where Flash B is located in the memory address space? Is it restricted to a range of addresses or could it be anywhere? Assuming that there's some way to write and read memory to identify the Flash B address range, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to be writing and reading random locations in the memory address space, since that it could mess up other devices that also use a part of the memory address space.

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    Yes, the goal is to find where Flash B is located in the memory address space.
    However, I have no idea as to where I could start looking.

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If there is no specified range, then you need to probe every address that is a multiple of the size of Flash B, assuming there's some handshake sequence that works with any address within range of Flash B. I don't like this idea because poking a random memory locations could mess up something else.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook