MRI and Fourier transform to form an image

In summary: That's not what I meant.I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you meant by "create a remote(long range) magnetic field."
fredreload
I read about how MRI works briefly, by flipping the water molecules using a magnetic field to the correct state then send the radio wave to these atoms and have it bounces back to be received by receiver coils and apply Fourier Transform to figure out the imaging. My question is, how does Fourier Transform works in this case in the receiver coil to figure out the original location of the atom, is it based on the intensity of the radio wave or something else?

Biology news on Phys.org
The magnetic field varies along one axis of the body, so protons in your head emit radio waves of a slightly different frequency than protons in your feet. The Fourier transform allows one to extract the different frequencies from the overall radio signal in other to figure out where each part of the signal is coming from.

So, is the signal received from the atoms like a radio wave? I understand the signal is weak because you need coils right around the body but is it possible to strengthen this signal? Stronger signal directed at the atom would have a stronger signal bounces back? I'm talking about receiving it like a radio signal, if it's possible and someone done it before.

In MRI the signal comes from transitions between two nuclear spin states. The difference in energy between the states is small (hence, the transition is associated with the absorption and emission of low-energy radio waves), which also means that the difference in population between the lower-energy spin state and higher-energy spin state is small. The difference between these two populations defines the strength of your signal. You cannot increase the signal by increasing the strength of the radio wave pulse because the radio wave (in most cases) already saturates the signal. The most practical way of increasing the signal would be to increase the strength of the magnetic field, which increases the energy difference between the two nuclear spin states (alternatively, one could decrease the temperature of the sample, but this is not practical for biological samples). For more discussion see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance#Sensitivity

That makes sense. Based on this youtube video, the radio frequency is proportional to the spin of the dipole. So if it spins at higher frequency then it would emit a radio wave of higher frequency, I think.

Using precise terminology is important here. Spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of the nuclei, and the spin of the nuclei does not directly cause the radio signal. Rather, it is the precession of the magnetic moments of the nuclei around the magnetic field lines that directly generates the radio frequency signal.

How do you create a remote(long range) magnetic field? Does it take some kind of pulse weapon?

What is an MRI scan?

An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan is a medical imaging technique that uses a strong magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the inside of the body. It is often used to diagnose and monitor various medical conditions.

How does an MRI scan work?

During an MRI scan, the patient lies inside a large, cylindrical machine that contains a strong magnet. The magnetic field causes the hydrogen atoms in the body's tissues to align in a certain direction. Radio waves are then sent through the body, causing the hydrogen atoms to emit signals that are picked up by the MRI machine. These signals are then processed by a computer and turned into detailed images of the body's structures.

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical technique used to analyze signals and convert them from the time domain to the frequency domain. In the context of MRI, it is used to convert the signals emitted by hydrogen atoms in the body into a visual representation of the different tissues in the body.

How does Fourier transform help in forming an MRI image?

The signals emitted by hydrogen atoms in an MRI scan are complex and contain information about the different tissues in the body. By using Fourier transform, these signals can be broken down into different frequencies, which can then be mapped to different tissues in the body. This allows for the creation of a detailed and precise image of the body's internal structures.

Are there any risks associated with MRI scans?

MRI scans are considered safe and non-invasive, as they do not use ionizing radiation like X-rays or CT scans. However, there are some potential risks for people with certain medical devices or conditions, such as pacemakers or metal implants. It is important to inform the medical staff of any potential risks before undergoing an MRI scan.