Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT

In summary, the person is confused about their career path after receiving a mediocre rank in their IITJEE exam. They are considering pursuing a M.Sc. in physics or mathematics, but are unsure if it is a good choice. The other person suggests focusing on their genuine interest and attending counseling to apply for their desired course. They also mention their AIEEE and CEE scores, and ask about the other person's desired stream and college.
shanjit_singh
i am in confusion. i recently cleared my iitjee exam. but unfortunately my rank is not that good. i just wanted to enquire whether taking a Msc. course in physics or mathematics is a good choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing M.Sc. in physics or mathematics has got nothing to do with good or bad rank. If you are genuinely interested in doing basic sciences, I would suggest you to go for it, else you won't be able to do full justice to the subject or your life.

What bad rank did you get anyway?:smile:

Oh.. i got 5785 only..

ok. I think( and i didn't do this when I was in a similar position) you should just go to the counseling and apply for the course you wanted to do( NOT what you can get now) . What about other things like AIEEE, etc?

Aieee i got 4531 rank..general category.Since i am in Delhi, i also had written CEE in which i got 175 rank. So what did you join? which is better NSIT or DCE ?

lol I made kind of eccentric choice, let's talk about you only:wink:

I am not from delhi, so don't really know which ones better, sorry. AIEEE that rank can get you decent stream from a decent NIT (again that's the case when I was there, things must've changed now). What stream/college did you want?

1. What is Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT?

Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT refers to a Master of Science degree in the fields of physics and applied mathematics from the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology (IIT). This program is designed to provide students with a strong foundation in both theoretical and practical aspects of physics and applied mathematics, equipping them with the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue a career in research or industry.

2. What are the eligibility criteria for Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT?

The eligibility criteria for Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT vary depending on the specific IIT and program. Generally, candidates must have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, mathematics, or engineering with a minimum of 55% marks. Additionally, they must also qualify the entrance exam conducted by the IIT or have a valid GATE score.

3. What is the duration of the Msc. physics/applied mathematics program at IIT?

The duration of the Msc. physics/applied mathematics program at IIT is typically two years (four semesters). However, the duration may vary depending on the specific IIT and program structure.

4. What are the career opportunities after completing Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT?

After completing Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT, graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in both research and industry. They can pursue a career as a research scientist, data analyst, mathematical modeler, or work in fields such as finance, engineering, and technology. Graduates can also choose to pursue further studies and pursue a Ph.D. in their field of interest.

5. Is Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT a good choice for those interested in a research career?

Yes, Msc. physics/applied mathematics from IIT is an excellent choice for those interested in a research career. The program provides students with a strong theoretical foundation and practical skills, making them well-equipped to pursue a career in research. Additionally, the IITs are renowned for their research facilities and collaborations, providing students with ample opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research projects.