Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MSW effect for Solar Neutrinos

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Can someone help me understand the following figure?

It shows how the conversion of neutrons (electron neutrinos=red, muon neutrinos=blue) is happening through the Sun for different cases of the core's density (relative to the resonance density).

I only understood the top figure, which tells me that I get an electron neutrino produced that is mainly in the ##\nu_{1m}## state, and because of matter effects, when it reaches the resonance (##\Delta m_m =min##) we get each ##\nu_{im}## being 50-50 of neutrinos. Then the ##n## keeps dropping and so the muonic component of ##\nu_{1m}## gets larger until ##\nu_{1m} \rightarrow \nu_1## (vacuum) with the small mixing angle (here zero/no oscillations only matter effects).

However in the rest diagrams, I don't understand why the initial neutrino composition is such.

Attached Files:

• b2.jpg
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not what the top figure shows, it show the electron neutrino produced mainly in the ##\nu_{2m}## state. As the neutrino evolves adiabatically, when the state exits the Sun, it is essentially in the ##\nu_2## state, which only has a subdominant component of electron neutrino (##\theta_{12} \simeq 33^\circ##).

The initial matter angle depends on the relation between the neutrino energy and the matter (electron) density. If the energy is on-resonance, the electron neutrino would be 50-50 ##\nu_{1m}## and ##\nu_{2m}##. Anywhere above resonance, it is mainly ##\nu_{2m}## and below resonance it goes towards the vacuum composition.

4. Jul 14, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Sorry "##\nu_{1m}##" was a typo of mind (it doesn't correspond to the figure) and I meant ##\nu_{2m}##.

5. Jul 14, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, I generally prefer figure 2 of this paper for understanding the flavour composition dependence on the matter potential, but admittedly I am biased for obvious reasons. The solar resonance is that which appears around ##VE \simeq 10^{-5}\ \rm{eV}^2##.

6. Jul 14, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I'm trying to see those transitions from formulae...
    You get the initial electron-neutrino composition from:
    [itex] |\nu_e> = \cos (\theta_m) | \nu_{1m}> + \sin (\theta_m) |\nu_{2m}>[/itex]
    With
    [itex] \sin (2\theta_m) = \frac{\sin (2\theta)}{C}[/itex]
    and
    [itex]C= \sqrt{[A_{CC}-\cos(2\theta)]^2+ \sin^2(2\theta)}[/itex]
    [itex]A= \frac{2 \sqrt{2}G_F n_e E}{\Delta m^2}[/itex]?

So for [itex]n_e =n_R[/itex] you get [itex]\sin^2 2 \theta_m =1 \Rightarrow \theta_m = \pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] and so the [itex]\nu_e \approx \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|\nu_{1m}>+ | \nu_{2m}>][/itex]?

Then for [itex]n_e \gg n_R[/itex] the [itex]C\approx A_{CC} \gg 1[/itex] and so [itex]\sin 2 \theta_m \approx 0 \Rightarrow \theta_m \approx 0,\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and for 0: [itex]|\nu_e> \approx |\nu_{1m}>[/itex] while for ##\pi/2## [itex]|\nu_e> \approx |\nu_{2m}>[/itex]? *that's reversed*

By continuity then, the inbetween values will have a dominant [itex]\nu_{2m}[/itex]...the opposite holds for [itex]n_e <n_R[/itex] until it reaches the [itex]\theta_m= \theta \approx 33^o[/itex].

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  7. Jul 14, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can remove the minus sign from the ##\theta_m = \pm \pi/4##, otherwise yes.

8. Jul 14, 2015 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

OK I think I got it, thanks :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook