Mt Carmel College of Nursing renovation in Columbus, OH

  • Thread starter Thread starter BobG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Building
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Messages
365
Reaction score
88
Biology news on Phys.org
Ahh but of course. The American interpretation of a healer, holding the staff of caduceus (2 snakes), the magic wand of control and occult, the protector of merchants and thieves; rather than the staff of asclepius (one snake), the god of health.
 
There is a mural on the side of a building in Columbia, South Carolina. It is a picture of a sunset seen through a tunnel. The problem - it is so realistic that in the evening, people have mistakenly driven into the side of the building. So they erected a barrier to prevent drivers from trying to enter the tunnel.
 
None of them were observed persuing a roadrunner just beforehand were they?
 
I'm never overly impressed by things like that done entirely for aesthetics, mainly because I've known enough about the behind-the-scenes finances of colleges and universities to know they are wasting money on sculpture while telling departments they have no money for necessities.
 
Moonbear said:
I'm never overly impressed by things like that done entirely for aesthetics, mainly because I've known enough about the behind-the-scenes finances of colleges and universities to know they are wasting money on sculpture while telling departments they have no money for necessities.

:smile: :smile: :smile: too true.

I'd be the type to try to walk through that 2nd murale though.
 
The technique is called 'Trompe l'Oeil' - to deceive the eye.
 
I think its beautiful, he's a very good artist. Its also a very cheap way to spruce up a tired building vs a stone/cement make over.
 
lol moonbear, it isn't sculpture. Or were you perhaps thinking of an episode in your own life? Didn't get a new microscope because of the new fountain?
 
Here is more:

http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/archives/images/caduceusstlouis.jpg

http://www.uiuc.edu/tours/quad/antratour/henrycaduceus.jpg

viipuri_02.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator: