Multidimensional Fourier transform oddity

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the Fourier transform of a function with a pair of monomials and heaviside theta functions. The complicating factor is that the function involves the modulus of a vector in two dimensions. While evaluating the integral in Mathematica gives a finite limit, using an identity leads to a diverging integral. The use of a Bessel function is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a response acknowledging a mistake in changing variables and the circular symmetry of the Bessel function being relevant to the problem.
muppet
Hi all,

I'm trying to compute the Fourier transform of a slightly odd function, a pair of monomials in k cobbled together with heaviside theta functions:
[tex]f(k)=\theta(1-k) k^{n-2}+\theta(k-1) k^{-2}[/tex]
where n is some integer >2. A complicating factor is that k is really the modulus of a vector in 2 dimensions.
Evaluating
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} dk f(k)e^{ikb} [/tex]
in Mathematica gives me something with a finite limit as b-> 0. However, trying to do the integral
[tex]\int d^{2}k f(k)e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{b}} [/tex]
gives me an integral that diverges as b->0; before passing the buck to Mathematica I've used an identity
[tex]\int d^n y e^{i\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{y}}f(y)=\frac{(2\pi)^{n/2}}{x^{n/2-1}}\int_{0}^{\infty}y^{n/2}J_{n/2-1}(xy)f(y)[/tex]
in which the J is a Bessel function. Mathematically this seems strange, as the function seems reasonably well-behaved; it's also physically strange in the context of the problem I'm working on. Can someone give me a clue as to what's happening here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
? The Bessel function is well behaved! In particular, it has circular symmetry, which, since you are dealing with the modulus of a vector seems reasonable for this problem.

Thanks for your response, HallsofIvy- it prompted me to find the mistake I made when changing variables :redface:

1. What is a multidimensional Fourier transform oddity?

A multidimensional Fourier transform oddity refers to a unique property of the Fourier transform in multiple dimensions, where the transform of an odd function in one dimension can produce an even function in higher dimensions.

2. How is a multidimensional Fourier transform oddity used in scientific research?

The multidimensional Fourier transform oddity is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics to analyze and manipulate multidimensional data. It allows for the extraction of frequency and spatial information from complex data sets.

3. Can you provide an example of a multidimensional Fourier transform oddity?

One example of a multidimensional Fourier transform oddity is the Fourier transform of a 2D Gaussian function, which results in an even function in 3D space.

4. How does the multidimensional Fourier transform oddity differ from the one-dimensional Fourier transform?

The multidimensional Fourier transform oddity involves the transformation of functions in multiple dimensions, while the one-dimensional Fourier transform only deals with functions in a single dimension. Additionally, the multidimensional Fourier transform oddity has unique properties, such as the even-odd symmetry, that do not exist in the one-dimensional transform.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the multidimensional Fourier transform oddity?

One limitation of the multidimensional Fourier transform oddity is that it can only be applied to functions that satisfy certain conditions, such as being integrable. Additionally, the transform can be computationally complex and time-consuming for large data sets.