Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multidimensional Fourier transform oddity

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I'm trying to compute the fourier transform of a slightly odd function, a pair of monomials in k cobbled together with heaviside theta functions:
    [tex]f(k)=\theta(1-k) k^{n-2}+\theta(k-1) k^{-2}[/tex]
    where n is some integer >2. A complicating factor is that k is really the modulus of a vector in 2 dimensions.
    Evaluating
    [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} dk f(k)e^{ikb} [/tex]
    in Mathematica gives me something with a finite limit as b-> 0. However, trying to do the integral
    [tex]\int d^{2}k f(k)e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{b}} [/tex]
    gives me an integral that diverges as b->0; before passing the buck to Mathematica I've used an identity
    [tex]\int d^n y e^{i\mathbf{x}\cdot\mathbf{y}}f(y)=\frac{(2\pi)^{n/2}}{x^{n/2-1}}\int_{0}^{\infty}y^{n/2}J_{n/2-1}(xy)f(y)[/tex]
    in which the J is a Bessel function. Mathematically this seems strange, as the function seems reasonably well-behaved; it's also physically strange in the context of the problem I'm working on. Can someone give me a clue as to what's happening here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? The Bessel function is well behaved! In particular, it has circular symmetry, which, since you are dealing with the modulus of a vector seems reasonable for this problem.

4. Sep 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your response, HallsofIvy- it prompted me to find the mistake I made when changing variables :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook