Solution to PDEs via Fourier transform

In summary: But is it correct to say that we Fourier decompose with respect to ##\mathbf{x}## and that this leaves us with a (set of) function(s) that depend on the particular values of ##\mathbf{k}## used in the Fourier decomposition and that the Fourier decomposition provides a way to write the solution in terms of plane waves with different wave vectors ##\mathbf{k}##?But is it correct to say that we Fourier decompose with respect to xx\mathbf{x} and that this leaves us with a (set of) function(s) that depend on the particular values of kk\mathbf{k} used in the Fourier decomposition and that the Fourier decomposition provides a way to write the solution in
Frank Castle
Suppose a PDE for a function of that depends on position, ##\mathbf{x}## and time, ##t##, for example the wave equation $$\nabla^{2}u(\mathbf{x},t)=\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}u(\mathbf{x},t)$$ If I wanted to solve such an equation via a Fourier transform, can I Fourier transform with respect to ##\mathbf{x}##, but not ##t##? That is, can I assume an ansatz of the form $$u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank Castle said:
That is, can I assume an ansatz of the form
Yes, you can. In fact, a function of the form $$f(\mathbf{x},t) = Ae^{i(\mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{x} - \omega t)}$$ is a fundamental mode (subject to some dispersion relation) of that differential equation.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, you can. In fact, a function of the form
f(x,t)=Aei(k⋅x−ωt)​
f(\mathbf{x},t) = Ae^{i(\mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{x} - \omega t)} is a fundamental mode (subject to some dispersion relation) of that differential equation.

So one can do this kind of "partial" Fourier decomposition in general then? Intuitively, are we making a Fourier decomposition of the function at a particular (fixed) instant in time, and then requiring that the decomposition should retain its form for all ##t## hence arriving at a differential equation (in time) that the Fourier coefficient functions must satisfy in order for this to hold?!

Frank Castle said:
are we making a Fourier decomposition of the function at a particular (fixed) instant in time,
Yes.
Frank Castle said:
then requiring that the decomposition should retain its form for all ttt
So long as the beam propagates in a space free of any obstacles (e.g. interfaces, aperture, etc), the shape of the spatial frequency spectrum should remain constant.

blue_leaf77 said:
So long as the beam propagates in a space free of any obstacles (e.g. interfaces, aperture, etc), the shape of the spatial frequency spectrum should remain constant.

But is one assumes that one can express the solution in terms of a Fourier decomposition $$u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}$$ then doesn't it follow that (using the wave equation example) $$\nabla^{2}u(\mathbf{x},t)-\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\left[(-\mathbf{k}^{2})\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)-\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)\right]e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}=0 \\ \Rightarrow \frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)+\mathbf{k}^{2}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)=0$$ such that one finds a differential equation that the functions ##\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)## must satisfy in order for this Fourier decomposition to be valid for all times ##t##?!

Frank Castle said:
But is one assumes that one can express the solution in terms of a Fourier decomposition $$u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}$$ then doesn't it follow that (using the wave equation example) $$\nabla^{2}u(\mathbf{x},t)-\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\left[(-\mathbf{k}^{2})\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)-\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)\right]e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}=0 \\ \Rightarrow \frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)+\mathbf{k}^{2}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)=0$$ such that one finds a differential equation that the functions ##\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)## must satisfy in order for this Fourier decomposition to be valid for all times ##t##?!
I understand your derivation but I cannot get what you want to say with those maths.

blue_leaf77 said:
I understand your derivation but I cannot get what you want to say with those maths.

My understanding is that this is the differential equation that the Fourier coefficient functions must satisfy in order for the Fourier decomposition to be valid at times ##t## other than the fixed instant in time that we made the Fourier decomposition. That is, we wish to be able to express the solution to $$\nabla^{2}u(\mathbf{x},t)-\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}u(\mathbf{x},t)=0$$ as $$u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int\frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}$$ at every instant in time ##t##, and hence we find a (self-consistent) differential equation (in time) for the Fourier coefficients ##\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)## of the expansion, given by $$\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)+\mathbf{k}^{2}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)=0$$

Are you looking for the solution of
Frank Castle said:
$$\frac{1}{v^{2}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)+\mathbf{k}^{2}\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)=0$$
?
The solution takes the form
$$
\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t) = \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},0) e^{-i\omega t}
$$
with ##\omega = kv##.

blue_leaf77 said:
The solution takes the form
~u(k,t)=~u(k,0)e−iωt​
\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t) = \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},0) e^{-i\omega t}
with ω=kv\omega = kv.

No, I understand that the solution takes that form. What I'm really trying to check is that I've understood intuitively what's going on, i.e. why we are "allowed" to Fourier decompose in this fashion (with respect to ##\mathbf{x}## only)?!

Frank Castle said:
why we are "allowed" to Fourier decompose in this fashion (with respect to xx\mathbf{x} only)?
The most general form of an electromagnetic radiation can be written to be
$$
u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}} d\omega \, \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},\omega)e^{i(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x} - \omega t)}
$$
At this point, I would like to point out that there is certain theorem in calculus which governs whether one can interchange the order of an integration involving more than one variables. Unfortunately I don't remember how this theorem called, but I think for most practical purpose of a localized, square-integrable spectra you can do the integral over ##\omega## first
$$
u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}} e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}} \left( \int d\omega \, \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},\omega)e^{- i\omega t} \right)
$$
and you denote the integral inside the bracket as ##\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)##. So, it's allowed.

blue_leaf77 said:
The most general form of an electromagnetic radiation can be written to be
u(x,t)=∫∫d3k(2π)3dω~u(k,ω)ei(k⋅x−ωt)​
u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}} d\omega \, \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},\omega)e^{i(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x} - \omega t)}
At this point, I would like to point out that there is certain theorem in calculus which governs whether one can interchange the order of an integration involving more than one variables. Unfortunately I don't remember how this theorem called, but I think for most practical purpose of a localized, square-integrable spectra you can do the integral over ω\omega first
u(x,t)=∫d3k(2π)3eik⋅x(∫dω~u(k,ω)e−iωt)​
u(\mathbf{x},t)=\int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2\pi)^{3}} e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}} \left( \int d\omega \, \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},\omega)e^{- i\omega t} \right)
and you denote the integral inside the bracket as ~u(k,t)\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t). So, it's allowed.
Ah ok, so if the wave has a constant phase ##\omega## then one can simply write the solution as I put it, however, if the phase changes then we have to use the more general expression that you put. Is this correct?

Also, what's the justification for why we don't Fourier transform the temporal part of ##u## also?

Frank Castle said:
Ah ok, so if the wave has a constant phase ωω\omega then one can simply write the solution as I put it, however, if the phase changes then we have to use the more general expression that you put. Is this correct?
##\omega## is frequency. I don't understand what you are implying. The frequency, which you falsely called phase, do not change for a propagation in an non-absorptive medium.
Frank Castle said:
what's the justification for why we don't Fourier transform the temporal part of uuu also?
Didn't I just show you that the temporal part (the integral inside the bracket in the last equation in post#10) can also be integrated, yielding a function of time ##
\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)##?

blue_leaf77 said:
The frequency, which you falsely called phase

Sorry, I meant frequency.

blue_leaf77 said:
Didn't I just show you that the temporal part (the integral inside the bracket in the last equation in post#10) can also be integrated, yielding a function of time ~u(k,t) \tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)?

Sorry, yes you did. I wasn't being observant enough.
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I've seen examples in several sets of notes where they just Fourier transform the spatial part, and then use the differential equation to find a differential equation for the Fourier coefficients ##\tilde{u}(\mathbf{k},t)##. Why not just Fourier transform the whole thing (as you did) and assume this as an ansatz and solve the differential equation this way?

1. What is the Fourier transform method used for?

The Fourier transform method is used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves transforming a PDE from its original space to a new space, where it can be easily solved using algebraic methods.

2. What types of PDEs can be solved using the Fourier transform method?

The Fourier transform method can be used to solve linear PDEs with constant coefficients. It is not applicable to non-linear or time-dependent PDEs.

3. How does the Fourier transform method work?

The Fourier transform method works by decomposing a function into its frequency components, which are easier to manipulate mathematically. The transformed function is then solved using algebraic methods and the inverse Fourier transform is applied to obtain the solution in the original space.

4. What are the advantages of using the Fourier transform method?

One advantage of using the Fourier transform method is that it can be applied to a wide range of PDEs. It also simplifies the solving process by transforming the original equation into a simpler form.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform method for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Fourier transform method. It is only applicable to certain types of PDEs and may not work for non-linear or time-dependent PDEs. It also requires the function to have a well-defined Fourier transform. Additionally, the method may not be practical for PDEs with complex boundary conditions.