Multiple-choice problem why is this the answer?

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
Plus, we don't want to just give you the answer, we want to help you understand the concept behind it.In summary, in order for the equation |z| + y = x to be satisfied, x must be greater than or equal to y. This is because the absolute value of z is always greater than or equal to 0, and if y is negative, then adding the positive value of |z| to it will result in x being greater than y. This question is more about conceptual understanding rather than simply arriving at the correct answer.
IntegrateMe
For any real numbers x, y, and z, if the equation:

|z| + y = x

is to be satisfied, which of the following must be true?

(A) x is greater than or equal to y
(B) x is greater than or equal to z
(C) x is less than or equal to y
(D) x is less than or equal to z
(E) y is greater than or equal to z

The answer is (A), i just don't know how to arrive there.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well fist of all what are your thoughts on the answer? What is your reasoning? You should show us your attempts at solving the question.

try rearranging the equation to make |z| the subject

|z| = x - y

Is there any way to get rid of the absolute value symbol around the z?

absolute value is defined as

if x>=0 then |x|= x,

if x<0 then |x|= (-x)

which basically means that absolute value is the numbers distance from the origin of the number line a.k.a any number within the absolute value comes out as a positive number (except 0 which, obviously, is still 0)

Can you just tell me how to do the question?

Is |x| positive, or negative?
Is something equal to |y| potentially greater than or less than zero or both?

|#| is going to be greater than or equal to 0, i suppose.

IntegrateMe said:
|#| is going to be greater than or equal to 0, i suppose.
Yes.
Now, since |z| = x - y, what does that tell you about the expression x - y?

IntegrateMe said:
Can you just tell me how to do the question?
Per the rules of this forum, we don't do that. We'll help you with it, but you have to do the work.

I'm trying to understand what you guys are saying but i usually comprehend things if i just see the answer and work backwards.

|z| = x - y tells me that |z| is going to be equal to x - y

Oh, wait. I think i catch it:

If the |z| is always going to be greater than or equal to 0, that means x must be greater than or equal to y or else we will form a negative number on the right side of the expression?

I feel stupid now. Thanks for the help guys.

I think you understand, but just to make sure, it doesn't matter if the right side is negative or positive. If y is negative, and you add the absolute value of z (which is always positive), then x is still greater than y, even if both x and y are negative values.

Oh, i see what you're saying novop. That makes sense. I guess this question is more conception more than anything.

Thanks a lot!

IntegrateMe said:
I'm trying to understand what you guys are saying but i usually comprehend things if i just see the answer and work backwards.
Well, of course, but as I already mentioned, that's not the way we do things here. Maybe it's easier to comprehend if you see the answer and can work backwards, but you learn better by doing the work yourself, rather than seeing someone else's final result.

1. Why are multiple-choice problems used in scientific research?

Multiple-choice problems are often used in scientific research because they allow for a standardized and efficient way of evaluating participants' knowledge and understanding of a particular topic. They also provide a clear and structured format for collecting data, making it easier to analyze and interpret results.

2. How do researchers determine the correct answer for a multiple-choice problem?

Researchers typically create multiple-choice problems by carefully crafting answer choices that represent common misconceptions or incorrect ideas about the topic. The correct answer is then chosen based on the most accurate and scientifically supported response among the options.

3. Can multiple-choice problems accurately assess understanding and knowledge?

Yes, multiple-choice problems can be an effective way to assess understanding and knowledge in certain contexts. However, it is important for researchers to carefully design the questions and answer choices to ensure they accurately reflect the concepts and principles being tested.

4. Are there any limitations to using multiple-choice problems in scientific research?

One limitation of multiple-choice problems is that they may not be suitable for assessing higher-order thinking skills, such as critical thinking or problem-solving. They also may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios and may not be suitable for all types of research studies.

5. How can multiple-choice problems be improved for more accurate assessment?

To improve the accuracy of multiple-choice problems, researchers can use a variety of question types, such as including open-ended questions or incorporating visual aids. It is also important to pilot test the questions with a diverse group of participants to ensure they are valid and reliable measures of understanding and knowledge.