1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiplication Rule in Probability

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In order to highlight the problem I'm having here I have posted two questions, the answer for the second matches the text book answer, the first does not. The wording of both questions appears to be the same. Have I gone wrong in the 1st question, or is the book incorrect?

Many thanks.

Q. 1. Three people were selected at random and asked on which day of the week their next birthday was falling. What is the probability that only one of the birthdays falls on a Sunday.

Q. 2. A fair die is thrown 3 times. Find the probability that there will be exactly one 6.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt 1: [itex]P(X)=\binom{3}{1}\binom{1}{7}^1\binom{6}{7}^2= \frac{108}{343}[/itex]

Ans. 1.: (From text book): [itex]\frac{36}{343}[/itex]

Attempt 2: [itex]P(X)=\binom{3}{1}\binom{1}{6}^1\binom{5}{6}^2= \frac{25}{72}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the *logic* you used in getting your answer? In other words, why do you write what you did write? (BTW: I get your answer.)

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    In Q.1 The arrangement is P(S, F, F) + P(F, S, F) + P(F, F, S). Where F is fail, i.e. not the selected day, so 6/7. And S is success, i.e. the selected day, so 1/7. Then multiply the success as shown in the 1st sentence and add the 3 totals for the answer.

The same logic applies with question 2, except now the odds are that F = 5/6 & S = 1/6.

For the books answer to be correct, factor only a successful day for one outcome, and ignore the remaining 2. I'm assuming that this is what the question is aiming for?

In the second question, 3 separate die rolls means that 3 separate probabilities will be accounted for, not just the 1st.

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You answers are correct. (Btw, it would be better not to use the same notation for both combinatorials and fractions. For the fractions use \frac{}{}.)

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    Ok, so the book is definitely wrong? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook