Music Freak's question at Yahoo Answers (Trace in the lnear group)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group Music
Therefore, $\mbox{tr }(S)=\mbox{tr }(BSB^{-1})$.In summary, the statement is asking to prove that the trace of a square matrix $S$ is equal to the trace of $BSB^{-1}$, where $B$ is an invertible matrix from the general linear group $GL(n,k)$. This is due to the fact that the trace of a product of matrices is equal to the trace of the product in any order.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

So if S is a square matrix of order n, and B is in GL(n,k) where B is invertible, and the
Trace(S) is equal to Trace(BSB^(-1)).I'm not sure what the GL(n,k) means...
Please help prove this. I know this is a short proof, but I can't seem to find it in my book.

Here is a link to the question:

Quick Proof about a Square Matrix? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Music Freak,

$GL(n,K)$ is the general linear group of degree $n$ that is, the set of $n\times n$ invertible matrices over the field $K$, together with the operation of ordinary matrix multiplication. There is a well known property: for all $M,N$ matrices of $K^{n\times n}$ we have $\mbox{tr }(MN)=\mbox{tr }(NM)$ so, $$\mbox{tr }(BSB^{-1})=\mbox{tr }((BS)B^{-1})=\mbox{tr }(B^{-1}(BS))=\mbox{tr }((B^{-1}B)S)=\mbox{tr }(IS)=\mbox{tr }S$$

Related to Music Freak's question at Yahoo Answers (Trace in the lnear group)

1. What is the "lnear group" in Music Freak's question about Yahoo Answers?

The "lnear group" refers to the linear group, which is a mathematical concept related to groups and symmetry. In this context, it likely refers to a group of people on Yahoo Answers who are interested in music and have similar tastes or opinions.

2. What is the significance of Music Freak's question on Yahoo Answers?

The significance of Music Freak's question on Yahoo Answers is subjective and may vary depending on individual opinions. However, it could be seen as a way for the asker to connect with others who share their interest in music and potentially gain new insights or recommendations.

3. Can you explain the term "music freak" in Music Freak's question?

The term "music freak" is a colloquial term that refers to someone who is extremely passionate or enthusiastic about music. It can also imply that the person has a deep knowledge and understanding of music and its various genres.

4. Is Music Freak's question related to a specific music genre or topic?

Without more context, it is difficult to determine if Music Freak's question is related to a specific music genre or topic. However, it is possible that the question could pertain to a certain genre or style of music, or it could be more general in nature.

5. How does Music Freak's question relate to science as a concept?

Music Freak's question may not have a direct connection to science as a concept, but it could potentially involve elements of psychology or sociology in terms of studying the behavior and interests of a group of people on Yahoo Answers. It could also involve the use of data analysis to examine patterns and trends in the responses to the question.