Andrew's question at Yahoo Answers (Similar matrices)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, we have found the diagonal matrix $C$ and an invertible matrix $B$ such that $A=BCB^{-1}$, using the eigendecomposition of $A$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Let A =
7 -8 0
4 -5 0
-1 1 1

If possible, find a diagonal matrix C and an invertible matrix B such that A = BCB^-1

I have found the characteristic polynomial of A, along with the eigenvalues/vectors. However I just don't understand this question, and my notes/textbook is completely useless! I assume the two matrices A and C will be similar, thus have the same eigenvalues. But how am I supposed to show that matrix!?

Here is a link to the question:

Question on Similar Matrices? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Andrew,

The characteristic polynomial of $A$ is: $$\begin{aligned}\chi (\lambda)&=\begin{vmatrix}{7-\lambda}&{-8}&{0}\\{4}&{-5-\lambda}&{0}\\{-1}&{1}&{1-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}\\&=(1-\lambda)\begin{vmatrix}{7-\lambda}&{-8}\\{4}&{-5-\lambda}\end{vmatrix}\\&=(1-\lambda)(\lambda+1)(\lambda-3)\end{aligned}$$ The eigenvalues are $1,-1,3$ (all simple) and according to a well-known property, the matrix is diagonalizable. The eigenspaces (with corresponding basis) are: $$V_1\equiv\left \{ \begin{matrix}6x_1-8x_2=0\\4x_1-6x_2=0\\-x_1+x_2=0\end{matrix}\right.\qquad B_{V_1}=\{(0,0,1)\}$$ $$V_{-1}\equiv\left \{ \begin{matrix}8x_1-8x_2=0\\4x_1-4x_2=0\\-x_1-x_2+2x_3=0\end{matrix}\right.\qquad B_{V_{-1}}=\{(1,1,1)\}$$ $$V_3\equiv\left \{ \begin{matrix}4x_1-8x_2=0\\4x_1-8x_2=0\\-x_1-x_2-2x_3=0\end{matrix}\right.\qquad B_{V_3}=\{(4,2,-1)\}$$ So, if $$B=\begin{bmatrix}{0}&{1}&{\;\;4}\\{0}&{1}&{\;\;2}\\{1}&{1}&{-1}\end{bmatrix}\;,\quad C=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{\;\;0}&{0}\\{0}&{-1}&{0}\\{0}&{\;\;0}&{3}\end{bmatrix}$$ then, $A=BCB^{-1}$. You can easily verify this equality proving the equivalent one $AB=BC$.

Related to Andrew's question at Yahoo Answers (Similar matrices)

1. What are similar matrices?

Similar matrices are matrices that have the same size and their corresponding entries satisfy a certain relationship. Specifically, two matrices A and B are considered similar if there exists an invertible matrix P such that P-1AP = B.

2. How do you determine if two matrices are similar?

To determine if two matrices are similar, you can use the similarity transformation method. First, find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of both matrices. If the eigenvalues are the same and the corresponding eigenvectors are linearly independent, then the matrices are similar.

3. What is the significance of similar matrices?

Similar matrices have the same eigenvalues, determinant, rank, and trace. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving these matrices. They also represent the same linear transformation in different coordinate systems.

4. Can similar matrices have different entries?

Yes, similar matrices can have different entries as long as they satisfy the relationship P-1AP = B, where P is an invertible matrix. The entries may differ in value, but their positions and relationships remain the same.

5. How are similar matrices used in real-life applications?

Similar matrices are used in various applications, including computer graphics, physics, and engineering. For example, in computer graphics, similar matrices are used to transform objects in 3D space. In physics, they are used to solve problems involving physical systems and measurements. In engineering, they are used to model and analyze systems with different coordinate systems.