Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
BillTre said:
Lots (but not all) Dylan songs can go into this category.
Some Dylan songs have not been topped:

Which I think he should have gotten an Oscar for!

I am not a huge Dylan fan BUT the ones I like I love. Since we are on Dylan I was not at all Keen on this

Science news on Phys.org
The Dead have done a lot of great versions of Dylan songs:

Either with Dylan:

Or without:

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
Enya - So I Could Find My Way

Some traditional Māori music:

Likes jedishrfu
StevieTNZ said:
Some traditional Māori music:

It is interesting how different traditional music of various countries and nations.

aliceiii said:
It is interesting how different traditional music of various countries and nations.
You may also like

Likes jedishrfu

Likes jedishrfu

Likes BWV
Being employed for decades in the oceanographic field, nautical songs were especially appealing. One that stood out was Enya's "Orinoco Flow". I have the fondest memory of that song while out at sea in 1995. Our group had shipped a 1 ton, instrumented, aluminum-hulled, catamaran to San Diego from the east coast. As we steamed around Coronado Island en route to the open Pacific I was scrambling over the 'cat' in the scorching hot sun making last minute changes to wiring and mechanical adjustments, as the technician responsible for those tasks. I continued to work until dark when we finally retired to our bunks. My boss and I shared one of the bunkrooms in the bow section. As I prepared to doze off, sunburned with aching muscles in the top bunk, I well remember listening to Watermark on my compact cassette player with headphones. As the ship shuddered from the massive impact of waves against the hull, en route to Monterey Bay for our deployment, it created a kind of synergistic symphony with the awesomely beautiful "Orinoco Flow" song.

Thus I was delighted to come across a remix of the Orinoco Flow by Don Pelletier on Youtube. This is an absolutely fantastic remix of that song. But I wondered where this event took place. Finally I freeze-framed the video and saw the word "Amicorum" above the stage. A quick internet search revealed that it was an annual event that took place in a park in Belgium, where a temporary stage is set up. It's amazing to watch the energy and enthusiasm of the young people as they gyrate to the beat of the song.

Ligeti: Music from 2001 Space Odyssey​

01. Atmospheres 00:00
02. Lux Aeterna 08:43
03. Requiem 14:47
04. Adventures 41:45

Likes difalcojr
I like the song ''Imagine'' by John Lennon. It is a beautiful and simple song that speaks to the power of imagination and hope. The song has been covered by many artists, but it is the original version by John Lennon that is truly the best. It is a perfect example of how a great song can transcend time and still resonate with people today :smile:

Likes pinball1970
Terrific fusion album. Triangle -- Live in Yokohama.

Likes pinball1970, Jarvis323 and BWV
mlakonsky said:
I like the song ''Imagine'' by John Lennon. It is a beautiful and simple song that speaks to the power of imagination and hope. The song has been covered by many artists, but it is the original version by John Lennon that is truly the best. It is a perfect example of how a great song can transcend time and still resonate with people today :smile:
It sounds simple but it isn't. Not to write. It is putting those little touches in here and there that the Beatles were so brilliant at that made them special.
Like Hey Jude, no crazy chords pretty simple but try writing something like it. Let is be is another one.
Sexy Sadie reminds me a little of the sound of the piano on imagine. Chords are changing a lot and more chromatic. Lovely falsetto from him and he puts something similar in imagine.
They could both write and sing and play, guitar piano bass, very very well.
Genius.

mlakonsky said:
Sexy Sadie

[QUOTE="Hornbein, post: 6659502, member: 489043"] Terrific fusion album. Triangle -- Live in Yokohama. [MEDIA=youtube]snw5FdVzS9g[/MEDIA] [/QUOTE] Holy crap! That's great!

pinball1970 said:
[QUOTE="Hornbein, post: 6659502, member: 489043"] Terrific fusion album. Triangle -- Live in Yokohama. [MEDIA=youtube]snw5FdVzS9g[/MEDIA] [/QUOTE] Holy crap! That's great!

You might like this dance video then.

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
You might like this dance video then.

Wow. Do you know the players are?

pinball1970 said:
Wow. Do you know the players are?
The dancers are Perfume, who are very popular in Japan. The musicians are Triangle, in some parts speeded up or slowed down. Combined by yours truly. Note that with Odysee if you want 720p resolution you have to set that manually.

Senri Kawaguchi (Drums) Philippe Saisse (Keyboard) Armand Sabal-Lecco (Bass)

Here's Senri playing jazz. Tony Williams lives.

Likes Steve4Physics and pinball1970
JS Bach , Toccata and Fugue on a harp in St. Petersburg.

• Love
Likes BWV and pinball1970
Hornbein said:
JS Bach , Toccata and Fugue on a harp in St. Petersburg.

This left me speechless.

The piece is beyond beautiful to begin with, its got everything but to hear it and see it played on a harp like this is amazing.

Bare in mind this is written for organ and the foot peddles are putting those big bass notes in there.

She is playing it all like this!

Just two hands!
Wow!

not uncommon to hear the piece on CG

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Shirley Horn and Miles Davis

Likes BWV
I like the sounds of techno but the genre is one huge cliché. Every piece is the same. Here's someone taking advantage of the possibilities. This piece is full of subtle details that are noticed only on the n'th listening. I say Louis Cole is a genius. Your mileage may vary.

Time Traveler featuring Hatsune Miku

BWV said:
not uncommon to hear the piece on CG

I kept getting to certain parts where I thought, 'well he won't be able to this bit because...' then he did it!
All the counterpoint, fantastic technique.
He didn't do the trill but he only has so many fingers! The harpist left it out too. That's because most of that part is foot.
Loved it thanks

Last edited:
This is how the great man would have played it.

Notice what he doing at 5.05, that's multi tasking! That is the main part they missed. The CG misses something at 4.23, I think he goes out of time. You spot it @BWV ?
Still brilliant.

Last edited:
Likes Hornbein
Any Oscar Peterson fans?...

Likes hmmm27, pinball1970 and BWV
No greater piano solo on record

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and Steve4Physics
Steve4Physics said:
Any Oscar Peterson fans?...

Not just my favourite jazz pianist but one of my all time players period.

Likes Steve4Physics
Here's my fave in jazz piano.

Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Though y'all might prefer this.

• Wow
Likes Steve4Physics and pinball1970
And then there's Yuja Wang playing The Flight of the Bumblebee

• Love
Likes Jarvis323 and Jonathan Scott
versus Al Hirt playing the Green Hornet theme

Likes difalcojr
jedishrfu said: