Music to listen to when doing math or science

In summary, groups, singer, or instrumen, in particular, of music listen to you, when you doing calculus of theoretical physics or mathematical?Sorry, but I don't speak English very well. Groups, singer, or instrumen, in particular, of music listen to you, when you doing calculus of theoretical physics or mathematical? Groups, singer, or instrumen, in particular, of music listen to you, when you doing calculus of theoretical physics or mathematical? groups, singer, or instrumen, in particular, of music listen to you, when you doing calculus of theoretical physics or mathematical? groups, singer, or instrumen, in particular, of
alejandrito29
groups, singer, or instrumen, in particular, of music listen to you, when you doing calculus of theoretical physics or mathematical?

sorry, but I don't speack english very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org

Umm. I don't do calculus or theoretical physics, but I enjoy many different types of music. From Metallica, to Nightwish, to a hundred others. Linkin Park, a little bit of Classical, and more.

Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth

When I want or need to focus on a project, Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath has been assisting there.
Also Beethoven or Mozart, Metallica, it varies.
Some audiobooks too, mostly H.P. Lovecraft stories.

Paginini, but he can also be distracting with some of his pieces.

I usually start listening to my usual stuff, but then quickly re-remember that I can't concentrate while listening to music with lyrics so switch to postrock/classical/dubstep or some other music with no words.

Yeah, that's why I like death metal and world music; can't understand the words.

Michael Jackson, Wacko Jacko, MJ, Michael. Or otherwise known around here as the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. :!) :rofl:

Where is Danger? :frown:

Downbeat electronic and dubstep usually -> something chilled, not too busy, yet with a rhythm I can work to. Boards of Canada, Autechre, Groove Armada, Benga, Boozoo Bajou, Burial... the list could go on and on :P

Dark psytrance, psytrance, and ambient trance :biggrin:

A fan. Specifically, a Bionair HEPA air filter, set on level 2.

White noise in the background is the only background that allows for full concentration.

Chi Meson said:
A fan. Specifically, a Bionair HEPA air filter, set on level 2.

White noise in the background is the only background that allows for full concentration.

Do you point the fan at your head to stop it overheating from all your concentrating ? XD

I usually work at home when it's completely quiet, but sometimes I listen to my noise canceling headphones turned all the way up.

JesseC said:
Do you point the fan at your head to stop it overheating from all your concentrating ? XD

That's what propeller beanies are for.

QuarkCharmer said:
I usually work at home when it's completely quiet

I should have said this too earlier. MOST of the time I do not listen to anything, but if it's math or programming and I'm working with a concept I already understand, I listen to music if I am in the mood for it.

I have a 400-CD carousel. It holds most of my music (in that format) and I have it set to "random". I could work for many, many hours researching galactic interactions without a break.

Most of the music is blues and rock. Mostly from the 1950's to the 80's. I have that feed piped out to my back deck and when my wife and I have younger relatives over for a cookout, I generally have to write down the names of some groups and their albums.

Math Is Hard said:

:biggrin:

Do you listen to music while you study/do homework?

Do you listen to music while you study and/or do homework? If so, which kinds of music? instrumental or music with lyrics? Also, if you listen to music while studying, do you find it difficult to concentrate while taking your tests in quiet lecture halls?

Anything without lyrics. Toubab Krewe is a favorite of mine.

I listened to the news during high school while doing homework. In university, I'd listen to classic rock, or classical music, or open the window and listen to sounds of the city.

I can't really concentrate in very quiet surroundings.

Lately, I've been listening to the Rolling Stones, Who, The Doors, Yes, and Michael Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

This is an old thread that's been resurrected, but for what it's worth, here's a list of suggested music from Brahms to Coldplay. It was downloaded from the internet, so it must be right.

http://degreecentral.com/the-best-music-to-listen-to-while-studying/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sound of Silence

annoyinggirl said:
Also, if you listen to music while studying, do you find it difficult to concentrate while taking your tests in quiet lecture halls?

Very much so. I've even (partially) successfully obtained the permission to put on my earphones during exams.

Math Is Hard said:

Everyone knows propeller beanies are to provide lift to elevate your thoughts. :biggrin:

1. What is the connection between music and math/science?

Music and math/science have a strong connection as both involve patterns, rhythm, and structure. In fact, many musicians and scientists have found that they use similar parts of the brain when working on tasks related to their respective fields. Additionally, certain types of music, particularly classical and instrumental music, can help improve focus and concentration, which can be beneficial when doing math or science.

2. Does music help or hinder the ability to do math or science?

The effects of music on math and science performance can vary from person to person. Some people find that music can improve their focus and productivity, while others may find it distracting. It ultimately depends on the individual's personal preferences and the type of music being listened to. It is recommended to experiment and see what works best for you.

3. What type of music is best for studying math or science?

Studies have shown that instrumental music, particularly classical music, can have a positive impact on focus and productivity while studying math or science. This is because instrumental music typically has no lyrics, allowing the brain to focus solely on the task at hand. Additionally, music with a slower tempo and minimal fluctuations can also be beneficial for concentration.

4. Can listening to music while doing math or science improve performance?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Some individuals may find that listening to music can improve their performance, while others may find it distracting. It ultimately depends on the individual and the type of music being listened to. It is recommended to experiment and see what works best for you.

5. Is it better to listen to music or work in complete silence when doing math or science?

This is a matter of personal preference and what works best for each individual. Some people may find that silence helps them to focus better, while others may find music to be more motivating and conducive to their work. It is important to find what works best for you and create an environment that allows you to be the most productive and efficient in your work.