Music transition in the past decade

In summary, the past decade has seen a significant transition in the music industry, with the rise of streaming services and the decline of physical album sales. This has led to changes in the way music is consumed and produced, with artists adapting to the new landscape by releasing shorter, more frequent projects and utilizing social media to engage with fans. The emergence of genres such as EDM and the increasing popularity of collaborations and features have also played a role in shaping the sound of modern music. Overall, technology and shifting consumer preferences have greatly influenced the music industry in the past decade.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
I noticed that when I was younger, there was a much higher prevalence of bands having popular songs. I'm talking about the late 90s to about 2004. It seems in recent times that music have shifted towards solo artists instead of bands, I was wondering what might account for this.

Science news on Phys.org
Have you actually checked through the top 40 for all those years and determined that most of the slots used to be filled by bands and are now filled by solo musicians, or is this just an impression you have?

I guess the solo artist really has got the band on the run.

George Jones said:
I guess the solo artist really has got the band on the run.
well, i would consider, that the band around the solo artist always was there, they are just got discoverd like, Rajesh discoverd the planetary object beyond the Kuiper belt, 2008 NQ17, how Sheldon said ;)

i think the band gets more recognition atm then maybe 10 years past

Maylis said:
I noticed that when I was younger, there was a much higher prevalence of bands having popular songs. I'm talking about the late 90s to about 2004. It seems in recent times that music have shifted towards solo artists instead of bands, I was wondering what might account for this.

Well, I can tell you one thing, I don't think the boy bands are going anywhere soon. Back in my day, we had New kids on the Block and the predictable Block knock offs.

Now we got "One Direction," if they're still even relevant by now. As long as you have 13 year old girls, the boy bands will never go way. Funny how that contrasts with boys, who from my experience like the solo girls more than girl groups. I liked the Runaways but I liked Joan Jett solo much more. Pat Benetar was huge among the guys when I was a kid. And then, of course you have the endless parade of singer/songwriter female artists like Joni Mitchell, Adelle, SW VandeCarr's favorite Amy Winehouse, Tori Amos, Jewell, Alicia Keys, etc. What you DON'T see is the next "Spice Girls." Why is that?

By the way, what ever happened to the Jonas Brothers? I must say I did like that one song they had, Pizza Girl. Don't tell anyone... It's a little slow in the beggining, but's got a catchy chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=wFHmBWVTwXg

Maylis said:

I think you may be right but I'm not sure how to confirm this.

It does seem we are moving into more idol worship, and people don't care as much about music as celebrity. It's easier to gossip about a person than a band, talk about their rise to success, and what other person they are sleeping with.

And yes, there will always be boy bands, as long as there are not proper fathers who educate their daughters about music.

-Dave K

Bit tangential but I saw this video recently which or refectory captures how generic pop music is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV2s0UIPOQY

Ryan_m_b said:
Bit tangential but I saw this video recently which or refectory captures how generic pop music is:

I always enjoyed this video for a similar purpose...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKW4V51ksc

Ryan_m_b said:

Love child of Phil Collins and Weird Al?

:tongue:

ps. My favorite song of all time is Beethoven's 9th. Solo artists rock!

pps. In answer to the question, my guess is that it has to do with insecurity. If you're in a band, you can always blame it on Paul, or John, or Yoko, as to who was responsible for poor record sales/bad reviews.

ppps. hmmm... Did that boy band ever have poor record sales? I'd google it, but the sun just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffdcwPGz1s​

Gads, I love that cricket. :smile:

--------------------------
I switched the video, as "Mean Mr. Mustard" not playing afterwards, just freaked me out.
I do believe, The Beatles, are timeless.

Weird Al parodies always crack me up.

Last edited:
exo said:
Weird Al parodies always crack me up.

I'm liking Word Crimes right now. I think it's a benefit to humanity.

OmCheeto said:
pps. In answer to the question, my guess is that it has to do with insecurity. If you're in a band, you can always blame it on Paul, or John, or Yoko, as to who was responsible for poor record sales/bad reviews.
If, IF, it's even true there are more solo musicians out there now than bands, then it would have to do with the promoters, not the musicians.

IF it's true, I'd assume it's because the managers/promoters find it easier to handle individuals than it is to handle groups. The more people you add in, the more potential for squabbles.

However, no one has offered any evidence it is true.

A second ago I figured it wouldn't be very difficult to get some data. One just needs to look at top-40 lists per year and count how many are bands and how many individual artist names. Here are some examples:

• Madonna -- person
  • Pink -- Another person. That's Alecia Beth Moore Hart's stage name, so that classifies as a person.
  • Blondie -- That's actually a band, not a person. Debbie Harry was merely a member of that band.
  • Joe -- Person. Short for Joseph Lewis Thomas.
  • Fleetwood Mac -- I'm going to go with band on this one. The band's name is an amalgam of some of the members' names, but I suppose I'll still call it a band.
  • Santana & Rob Thomas -- Crap. Santana might be short for Carlos Santana, but some might say that it's the band he founded. But beyond that, there's two individuals total. How does that fit?
  • Lady Gaga -- Person?
  • Nelly -- Person. Stage name for Cornell Iral Haynes, Jr.
  • The artist formerly called Prince -- I give up.

I think this might take more effort than I thought. :frown:

The OP asserted that the late 90's was dominated by groups. I decided the late 90's started in 1995 and googled that year, only to find this, pretty much opposite assertion:

1995 was a year of powerful performances from solo artists. From Seal's beautifully measured reading of "A Kiss From a Rose" to Alanis Morissette's barely contained rage on her debut single "You Oughta Know," pop music audiences tuned into the solo voice.

http://top40.about.com/od/top10lists/tp/1995top10.htm

There don't seem to be many top 40 lists. It seems to be more top 100 songs lists, for a given year. Someone so inclined could go through these and find the proportion of solo vs group top 100 songs for all these years. I don't know what the lists might be based on, though, and two different lists for the same year might differ.

My guess is that the apparent ascendancy of one or the other at any given time is the result of random grouping.

I hate threads like these. It's mostly because of the focus on popular bands/music. When I opened the thread I was expecting something more along the lines of a discussion about experimental bands, avant-garde stuff, etc.

I wouldn't really consider a shift from bands to solo artists much of a transition - especially when the musical structure remains pretty much the same. Although, I'd say most people listen to pop music largely for the lyrics.

From
http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-singles-of-2013-2709/

These are the top selling singles - they don't say how much $.
Albums might be different. And persistence. Are some of these One Hit Wonders? Is this worldwide?

I wonder where Michael Jackson fits in on this.
He is the best selling Dead Artist.
Or are they counting only alive people.The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2013

1 BLURRED LINES ROBIN THICKE/TI/PHARRELL
2 GET LUCKY DAFT PUNK FT PHARRELL WILLIAMS
3 WAKE ME UP AVICII
4 LET HER GO PASSENGER
5 LA LA LA NAUGHTY BOY FT SAM SMITH
6 ROAR KATY PERRY
7 THRIFT SHOP MACKLEMORE/RYAN LEWIS/WANZ
8 JUST GIVE ME A REASON PINK FT NATE RUESS
9 COUNTING STARS ONEREPUBLIC
10 MIRRORS JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
11 POMPEII BASTILLE
12 WAITING ALL NIGHT RUDIMENTAL FT ELLA EYRE
13 CAN'T HOLD US MACKLEMORE/RYAN LEWIS/DALTON
14 LOVE ME AGAIN JOHN NEWMAN
15 BURN ELLIE GOULDING
16 WHEN I WAS YOUR MAN BRUNO MARS
17 I KNEW YOU WERE TROUBLE TAYLOR SWIFT
18 SCREAM & SHOUT WILL I AM FT BRITNEY SPEARS
19 I LOVE IT ICONA POP FT CHARLI XCX
20 DEAR DARLIN' OLLY MURS
21 HO HEY LUMINEERS
22 STAY RIHANNA FT MIKKY EKKO
23 SUMMERTIME SADNESS LANA DEL REY VS CEDRIC GERVAIS
24 ONE WAY OR ANOTHER (TEENAGE KICKS) ONE DIRECTION
25 TALK DIRTY JASON DERULO FT 2 CHAINZ
26 THE MONSTER EMINEM FT RIHANNA
27 I COULD BE THE ONE AVICII VS NICKY ROMERO
28 WE CAN'T STOP MILEY CYRUS
29 WHITE NOISE DISCLOSURE FT ALUNAGEORGE
30 RADIOACTIVE IMAGINE DRAGONS
31 HOLD ON WE'RE GOING HOME DRAKE FT MAJID JORDAN
32 I NEED YOUR LOVE CALVIN HARRIS/ELLIE GOULDING
33 BANG BANG WILL I AM
34 SOMEWHERE ONLY WE KNOW LILY ALLEN
35 NEED U (100 PERCENT) DUKE DUMONT FT AME
36 PLAY HARD DAVID GUETTA FT NE-YO & AKON
37 WHAT ABOUT US SATURDAYS FT SEAN PAUL
38 WILD JESSIE J/BIG SEAN/D RASCAL
39 THE OTHER SIDE JASON DERULO
40 DRINKING FROM THE BOTTLE CALVIN HARRIS FT TINIE TEMPAH

1. How has technology influenced the music transition in the past decade?

The rise of digital music platforms and streaming services have greatly impacted the music industry in the past decade. With the shift towards online consumption of music, traditional methods of music distribution, such as physical album sales, have decreased significantly. Technology has also made it easier for independent artists to produce and distribute their own music, leading to a more diverse range of music being available to listeners.

2. Has there been a change in music genres in the past decade?

Yes, there has been a noticeable change in music genres in the past decade. With the rise of streaming services, listeners now have access to a wider range of music, leading to a blurring of genre boundaries. Additionally, there has been an increase in the popularity of genres such as EDM and hip-hop, while rock and country music have seen a decline in mainstream popularity.

3. How has social media affected the music transition in the past decade?

Social media has had a significant impact on the music industry in the past decade. It has allowed artists to directly connect with their fans and promote their music, leading to a more independent and DIY approach to music production and distribution. Social media has also played a role in the rise of viral hits and the discovery of new artists.

4. What role have streaming services played in the music transition in the past decade?

Streaming services have played a major role in the music transition of the past decade. They have become the primary method of music consumption for many listeners, leading to a decline in physical album sales. Streaming services also use algorithms to suggest music to listeners, which can impact the popularity and success of certain songs and artists.

5. Has the music industry become more or less profitable in the past decade?

The music industry has become more profitable in the past decade, with the rise of streaming services and digital music sales compensating for the decline in physical album sales. However, the revenue is not evenly distributed, with major labels and streaming companies benefiting the most while smaller artists struggle to make a profit. Additionally, the pandemic has had a significant impact on live music events, causing a loss of revenue for both artists and the industry as a whole.