Mutations that allow voluntary control of normally involuntary muscles?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, there is a possibility of mutations that could allow for two-way connections between the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems, but it would require significant changes in the nervous system. There are examples of humans who have learned to control certain bodily functions, such as heart rate, but these are not direct two-way connections. One example of a direct two-way connection in humans is the ability to control the epiglottis, but this is not commonly practiced due to the risk of choking.
Simfish
Gold Member
I know that such mutations would be harmful to the phenotype and thus there would be selective pressure against them. Nonetheless, do they exist? (and are there any conditions associated with them?)

Biology news on Phys.org
My opinion only.

It would take more than a single mutation to let this happen. The sympathetic and parasympathetic systems (the ones I'm on about anyway) go thru different plumbing, ie., nerve connections, than do regular motor neurons. And they ultimately connect to different parts of the brain. Lots and lots of changes required.

I do not know of any direct "two-way" connections like you mention. Some animals with neural nets, like jellyfish, might be construed to meet your requirements.

There are examples of humans who have learned to control heart rates, for example, masters of yoga.

I can think of one example in humans. The epiglottis is the flap that covers your trachea when your swallowing. A belch happens when air goes into your stomach. Like some people I can control my epiglottis (which is usually involuntary) so that it covers my trachea when inhaling. This causes the air that would normally go into my lungs to go into my stomach. I have not tried keeping my trachea open while swallowing because that would result in choking.

1. What are mutations that allow voluntary control of normally involuntary muscles?

Mutations that allow voluntary control of normally involuntary muscles are genetic changes that alter the functioning of muscles that are usually controlled by the autonomic nervous system, such as those involved in digestion or heart rate.

2. How do these mutations occur?

These mutations can occur spontaneously or be inherited from parents who carry the mutated gene.

3. What are the potential benefits of having these mutations?

Having these mutations can potentially lead to increased control over bodily functions, such as being able to regulate heart rate or digestion, and could potentially help with conditions like hypertension or irritable bowel syndrome.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to these mutations?

Yes, there are potential risks and drawbacks to these mutations. They could potentially lead to uncontrolled muscle movements or interfere with the body's ability to regulate itself, leading to health complications.

5. Are there any current studies or research being done on these mutations?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and research being conducted on these mutations, particularly in the field of gene therapy and its potential applications for treating various medical conditions related to muscle control.