1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My 11-week Linear Algebra class was just cancelled

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    That ticks me off. :mad: It was supposed to start next Monday.

I have the option to take a 5-week Linear Algebra course at another school, but I don't want to cram this course at all.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i'm teaching an 8 week one starting thursday, in athens, ga.
  4. Jun 3, 2008 #3
    Would instead an 11-week CHEM1412 - General Inorganic Chemistry II be feasible?
  5. Jun 3, 2008 #4
    If you need that credit, yes, that would be a good choice, as (I'd assume) it's not for your major. General chemistry II is not a difficult course, even relative to the first chem.
  6. Jun 3, 2008 #5
    Well, apparently, it's 10 weeks, not 11. I made an A in the first one (1411). Yes, I do need the credit. It's the last CHEM course I need. It'd be from 6-09 to 8-14.
  7. Jun 3, 2008 #6
    What's so bad about a 5-week course? I'm taking it right now but a 6-week course. Might as well get it over with :)
  8. Jun 3, 2008 #7
    lol. I prefer to absorb material over a protracted period of time. I'll probably just take Linear Algebra in the fall with PHYS 2426.
  9. Jun 3, 2008 #8
    Summer classes suck! The pace is fast, the amount of work insane... I pity the people that take summer classes. I remember taking a summer C++ class once and we had like 40 hours of homework a week. Well I hope things go well for you Shackleford.
  10. Jun 3, 2008 #9

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The length of time to effectively learn any semester-quantity course for most people is at least two and a half months. This is not simply a matter of accounting for hours. The few times that I studied a course through enrolled as a summer student, the learning was not very productive. You need to KNOW if you are or are not the kind of student who can benefit from a summer session course, and you need to KNOW how is the quality of instruction for the summer session course before you enroll in it. Maybe a few people are academically strong enough to do well in a college level science or Mathematics course.
  11. Jun 3, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i taught a soivak calculus class in summer once and i graded 400 pages of hw a week, and we finished th whole book in 8 weeks. insane, yes? but it was one of the best classes i have ever had.
  12. Jun 3, 2008 #11
    damn you grade hw? i wish i could take a class of yours! i would take it just bc i respect your dedication to your students :)
  13. Jun 3, 2008 #12
    mathwonk: Does spivak cover multivariable calc too or just single variable?
  14. Jun 3, 2008 #13

He has it split into two books. Calculus covers single variable, and Calculus on Manifolds covers multivariable.
  15. Jun 3, 2008 #14
    What was the name of the class?
  16. Jun 3, 2008 #15
    I'll hazard a guess with Calculus... possibly Honors Calculus...
  17. Jun 4, 2008 #16
    im an engineer planning to take minor classes at summer... like literature and psychology
    would you happen to know how many hours of work do you stress out these subjects? i want to study in advance major subjects at summer in preparation for the following semester.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?