My 11-week Linear Algebra class was just cancelled

In summary, a 5-week course is not feasible due to the amount of work. A 6-week course would be better, but it is not for the student's major.
Shackleford
That ticks me off. :mad: It was supposed to start next Monday.

I have the option to take a 5-week Linear Algebra course at another school, but I don't want to cram this course at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm teaching an 8 week one starting thursday, in athens, ga.

Would instead an 11-week CHEM1412 - General Inorganic Chemistry II be feasible?

If you need that credit, yes, that would be a good choice, as (I'd assume) it's not for your major. General chemistry II is not a difficult course, even relative to the first chem.

ekrim said:
If you need that credit, yes, that would be a good choice, as (I'd assume) it's not for your major. General chemistry II is not a difficult course, even relative to the first chem.

Well, apparently, it's 10 weeks, not 11. I made an A in the first one (1411). Yes, I do need the credit. It's the last CHEM course I need. It'd be from 6-09 to 8-14.

What's so bad about a 5-week course? I'm taking it right now but a 6-week course. Might as well get it over with :)

rocomath said:
What's so bad about a 5-week course? I'm taking it right now but a 6-week course. Might as well get it over with :)

lol. I prefer to absorb material over a protracted period of time. I'll probably just take Linear Algebra in the fall with PHYS 2426.

Summer classes suck! The pace is fast, the amount of work insane... I pity the people that take summer classes. I remember taking a summer C++ class once and we had like 40 hours of homework a week. Well I hope things go well for you Shackleford.

The length of time to effectively learn any semester-quantity course for most people is at least two and a half months. This is not simply a matter of accounting for hours. The few times that I studied a course through enrolled as a summer student, the learning was not very productive. You need to KNOW if you are or are not the kind of student who can benefit from a summer session course, and you need to KNOW how is the quality of instruction for the summer session course before you enroll in it. Maybe a few people are academically strong enough to do well in a college level science or Mathematics course.

i taught a soivak calculus class in summer once and i graded 400 pages of homework a week, and we finished th whole book in 8 weeks. insane, yes? but it was one of the best classes i have ever had.

mathwonk said:
i taught a soivak calculus class in summer once and i graded 400 pages of homework a week, and we finished th whole book in 8 weeks. insane, yes? but it was one of the best classes i have ever had.
damn you grade hw? i wish i could take a class of yours! i would take it just bc i respect your dedication to your students :)

mathwonk: Does spivak cover multivariable calc too or just single variable?

uman said:
mathwonk: Does spivak cover multivariable calc too or just single variable?

He has it split into two books. Calculus covers single variable, and Calculus on Manifolds covers multivariable.

mathwonk said:

What was the name of the class?

razored said:
What was the name of the class?

I'll hazard a guess with Calculus... possibly Honors Calculus...

DavidWhitbeck said:
Summer classes suck! The pace is fast, the amount of work insane... I pity the people that take summer classes. I remember taking a summer C++ class once and we had like 40 hours of homework a week. Well I hope things go well for you Shackleford.
im an engineer planning to take minor classes at summer... like literature and psychology
would you happen to know how many hours of work do you stress out these subjects? i want to study in advance major subjects at summer in preparation for the following semester.

1. Why was the class cancelled?

The class may have been cancelled for a variety of reasons, such as low enrollment, scheduling conflicts, or unexpected circumstances. It is best to check with the department or instructor for specific reasons.

2. Can I still take the class at a later time?

It is possible that the class may be offered at a later time. You can check with the department or instructor for future offerings of the class.

3. Will the class be rescheduled?

It depends on the reason for cancellation and the availability of the instructor. If the class is cancelled due to an unforeseen circumstance, it may be rescheduled. However, if it is due to low enrollment or scheduling conflicts, it may not be rescheduled.

4. What should I do if the class is a requirement for my degree?

If the class is a requirement for your degree, it is best to speak with your academic advisor or department to discuss alternative options. They may be able to offer a substitute class or provide guidance on how to fulfill the requirement.

5. Can I get a refund for the cancelled class?

It depends on the policies of the institution and the reason for cancellation. It is best to check with the department or registrar's office for information on refunds.