My aspirations would like some flavor from seasoned Pros

• Thread starter Uranus
  • Start date
In summary: Becoming a professor is a very difficult and competitive process, and there's a good chance you won't be able to achieve that without a PhD.
Uranus
Hi all,

I am a student in community college. I fell behind in math in high school, so even though it is my softmore year I am just starting college math now. I am 21 so I am also a bit old but I believe I can achieve my dream which is to become a theoretical physicist in some field... I believe I can catch up in my math this year and over the summer before next year. I was wondering if anyone can please enlighten me as to some good classes to take before I transfer to a four year school this year (or any of the later years) that apply to what I want to do? I was thinking that people on these forums would have some good advice who have already gone through the process

Physics news on Phys.org
This website describes in detail the coursework normally required for aspiring physicists. If you are just starting out, I'd say the most important math classes for introductory physics are calculus and linear algebra.

First, you don't have the right to say "I'm old" at 21. Sheesh. :)

Different 2 year colleges have different classes and different 4 year colleges have different requirements, so I'm not sure anybody can tell you exactly which classes to take. You should check with the school or schools you wish to transfer to.

Does the two year institution you are offering offer an associates in math or physics? Having that little credential is likely to save you from having to take non-major classes at a four year school.

Otherwise, I would say take as much math as humanly possible. Dare I say even at the expense of physics classes, which you can take from the more experienced (usually ) professors at the 4 year school?

-DaveK

Check to see if your community college has a "transfer agreement" with your local university1. Such agreements will usually outline which courses will transfer and which will not. In most cases a two-year associates will cover the first two years of study at a 4-year university, but you really should coordinate with both institutions to make sure you're not wasting time.

As Dave mentions, mathematics is probably your biggest priority at the moment. Figure out exactly what you're going to need and go after it. Your age is inconsequential.

1 If you aren't planning on going to a nearby university, you'll probably have to verify transferable courses by some other means.

thanks I am now going to to test into calculus so I can start to learn physics... I have heard that it can be difficult to get jobs after becoming a phd... I was wondering about another option which is to become a quantitative analyst... What steps should I take to become one? Does it matter where I get my bachalers? What If I can't get into a prestegiouse college for my graduate school does that happen often and how will it effect my career? If I choose to continue with physics what good jobs outside of academia are available for theorticalists I hear professorships are small percentagewise... Also how can I change my username lol I was naming it after the Greek God who created Gya or Gyas father didnt realize it was well you know..

If I get my phd in say nine years I will be around thirty three or so will quant jobs still be in existence at that time?

Uranus said:
If I get my phd in say nine years I will be around thirty three or so will quant jobs still be in existence at that time?

There's no telling what jobs will be available next year, much less nine years from now. But that's true no matter what path you take.

What does it mean to have aspirations?

Aspirations refer to one's goals, dreams, or ambitions for the future. They are the things that a person hopes to achieve or become in their life.

Why is it important to have aspirations?

Having aspirations gives us a sense of direction and purpose in life. They motivate us to work towards our goals and ultimately lead to personal growth and fulfillment.

How can seasoned professionals help in achieving my aspirations?

Seasoned professionals have a wealth of knowledge and experience that can be valuable in helping us achieve our aspirations. They can offer guidance, advice, and mentorship to help us reach our goals.

What are some ways to add flavor to my aspirations?

To add flavor to your aspirations, you can try setting specific and achievable goals, creating a plan to reach those goals, seeking inspiration and motivation from others, and continuously learning and growing.

How can I stay motivated to pursue my aspirations?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but some ways to do so include surrounding yourself with supportive and like-minded individuals, celebrating small successes along the way, and reminding yourself of the reasons why you have these aspirations in the first place.