My diploma does not list the major

• Programs
  • Thread starter reqderseele
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List Major
In summary: Alternatively, you could contact your university's registrar's office to inquire about the process of having your major added to your diploma.
reqderseele
I wasn't sure where to post this question. I just received my undergraduate degree in Physics yesterday, and I noticed my degree just says "Bachelor of Science" with no mention of Physics on it.

Most of the other majors' diplomas say "Bachelor of Science in XXXX", so I was wondering why mine doesn't list the major? Does it have something to do with accreditation?

Physics news on Phys.org
... are you at a non-accredited university?

How could I find out? Is there a list of physics accredited universities?

Ah Louisiana Tech, cool. Maybe that's just how they do things, I don't know.

It sure seems sucky to have no indication of your major on your diploma. Mine even has my minor. Oh well :(

If you're wondering about whether it matters, it doesn't. No one physically looks at your diploma when jobs look at you.

:/ Yeah, it wouldn't bother me so much except that most of the other majors from my school have theirs listed. I don't if it's only physics or what. Meh. I would love to have my major and minors listed though I don't know if they would all fit (CS and Math minor). I suppose I always have my transcript.

Thanks for your help.

My diploma didn't list it either :mad:!

Funny story about that: I had to go back my old residence after graduating to pick up my mail, and my diploma was in the pile. I quickly opened it and immediately had the same reaction you did, "It doesn't say my major!" The current resident (whom I didn't know) chuckled and said, "That's good actually - you can say you majored in Physics!" Me, deadpan, "I did major in Physics." Long awkward pause.

Priceless.

Pengwuino said:
It sure seems sucky to have no indication of your major on your diploma. Mine even has my minor. Oh well :(

If you're wondering about whether it matters, it doesn't. No one physically looks at your diploma when jobs look at you.

True. Diplomas themselves serve just decorative purposes. Prospective employers and universities will ask for certified copies of your transcripts, which will state what degree was conferred, what major, and when it was conferred. As long as your transcript is in order, you're golden.

I would still be kind of mad lol. You can probably ask them what the deal is, maybe there was a problem (as you mentioned others had their major listed).

What should I do if my diploma does not list my major?

If your diploma does not list your major, you should contact your school's registrar or records office. They will be able to help you determine if your major was accidentally left off or if there was a mistake in processing your diploma.

Will not having my major listed on my diploma affect my job prospects?

In most cases, not having your major listed on your diploma will not affect your job prospects. Employers typically ask for transcripts or proof of degree, which will include your major. However, if you are concerned, you can always contact your school's registrar or records office to have your diploma reissued with your major listed.

Can I still use my diploma if it does not list my major?

Yes, you can still use your diploma even if it does not list your major. Your diploma serves as proof that you have completed your degree requirements and it is still valid, regardless of whether or not your major is listed.

Why does my diploma not list my major?

There could be a few reasons why your diploma does not list your major. It could be a mistake during processing, or your major may not have been listed on the diploma template at the time of your graduation. Contact your school's registrar or records office for more information.

Can I get my diploma reissued with my major listed?

Yes, you can contact your school's registrar or records office to request a reissued diploma with your major listed. There may be a fee for this service, so be sure to inquire about any associated costs.