Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My grandmother has Plutonium in her garden.

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    More seriously, my grandmother does not have this in her garden. I am looking to know what it's imply if normal citizens were to get hold of little quantities of these.

I am an interaction designer who needs to understand a few things about nuclear physics in order to validate some idea I have for a project. I have done my research on the internet, but everything is either too complex to understand, doesn't address the right points, or is over-simplified.
    Could you indicate me a good repository or source of simplified knowledge on the internet?

I mainly need to understand the risks implied if average citizens were to get hold of high-level nuclear waste (plutonium, uranium).
    How easy/difficult to make a bomb? Is there a way to secure radioactive waste so it doesn't allow transformation into explosive (while remaining radioactive).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2
    The transfer of plutonium is strictly controlled in the US. The average citizen does not have permission to obtain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium

Physics Forums can help you no further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook