Information on Teller–Ulam hydrogen bomb design

In summary, the Teller-Ulam hydrogen bomb design is based on two subcritical masses of uranium joined together at 3000 feet per second to create a critical mass. A tamper is used to ensure the plutonium bomb detonates.
exet
Hi there,

I have a question about the Teller–Ulam hydrogen bomb design. This will be a long post , but I hope someone can answer it for me.

When the first bombs were created, uranium device was simple enough to to figure out. Two sub critical masses of u-235 joined at... I think it was 3000 feet per second to create a critical mass. I think from what I read tungsten carbide was use as a neutron reflector to get the reaction going to achieve an explosion. Correct me if I am wrong.

The second bomb they dropped was a plutonium bomb. This gets a little complicated. From what I have read / watched, the plutonium was in a hollow sphere, because p-239 will fizzle if brought to critical mass. They then took high explosives and compressed the the sphere of plutonium to critical mass. Not sure if a tamper was needed. (correct me if I am wrong but I think a tamper is a neutron reflector)

Anyway the to designs worked, but along comes the hydrogen bomb. The way I think this works is as folllows: plutonium atom bomb goes off, which is very hot turning the polystyrene foam (basically styrofoam) into a plasma which in turn with the xrays given off sets the hydrogen fusion device to go off.

So basically I am just wondering with the ICBM MIRVS, do they still use the implosion technique, or do they use a neutron generator to set off the plutonium device, and if so do they use a tamper.

Thanks for taking a look at this. I am very tired and am going to go to bed now, but I hope someone can answer this. I cannot find any information in documentaries, or on google.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would be surprised if the current ICBM designs weren't still classified...

Certain information about the W88 warhead was leaked to the press. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W88 has a graphic that should answer at least some of the questions in the OP.

Ahhhh so they still do use the explosives to start the fission reaction. Wonder how they fit that into a tiny MIRV.

bare sphere (unreflected) Pu critical mass is just about 6" dia. The oblate design is a little tighter about the middle.

exet said:
Ahhhh so they still do use the explosives to start the fission reaction. Wonder how they fit that into a tiny MIRV.

MIRV's aren't THAT small. And it doesn't take a huge amount of explosives to start the reaction. See here for a size comparison: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/W87_MIRV.jpg

1. What is the Teller-Ulam hydrogen bomb design?

The Teller-Ulam hydrogen bomb design is a thermonuclear weapon design developed in the 1950s by physicists Edward Teller and Stanislaw Ulam. It is a two-stage bomb that uses a fission primary stage to trigger a much more powerful fusion reaction in the secondary stage.

2. How does the Teller-Ulam design work?

The Teller-Ulam design relies on the compression of a nuclear core made of heavy hydrogen isotopes (deuterium and tritium) by a conventional fission bomb. This compression triggers a fusion reaction, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and radiation.

3. What makes the Teller-Ulam design so powerful?

The Teller-Ulam design is so powerful because it harnesses the energy released by both fission and fusion reactions. The initial fission reaction releases energy that compresses the fusion fuel, leading to a secondary fusion reaction that releases even more energy. This process can be repeated multiple times, resulting in a much more powerful explosion than a traditional fission bomb.

4. How is the Teller-Ulam design different from other nuclear bomb designs?

The Teller-Ulam design is different from other nuclear bomb designs because it uses a two-stage process, whereas most other designs are single-stage. Additionally, the Teller-Ulam design is more efficient and can produce a much larger explosion with a smaller amount of fuel.

5. What are the potential dangers of the Teller-Ulam design?

The Teller-Ulam design, like all nuclear weapons, has the potential to cause significant destruction and loss of life if used in warfare. Additionally, the fuel used in the secondary stage, lithium deuteride, is highly toxic and can contaminate the environment if dispersed. The development and testing of these weapons also pose a risk to the health and safety of those involved.