NAACP calls Hallmark graduation card racist

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know...time?In summary, the card has been pulled from store shelves because it has a racist greeting that is played out through a speaker on the card. The card was out for 3 years before it was brought to attention by the NAACP.
zomgwtf said:
Maybe things changed but my girlfriend is black and so are all her friends. They don't talk like that, not at all.
Which means absolutely nothing.

Anyways I don't see where the discrepency is, the word STILL means a slut, or a girl who is more promiscuous.
No, as defined to me, it does not mean "promiscuous". It means the girl is of no account except as a means for a guy to get his rocks off; of use as a mere sex object at best, with nothing else to contribute.

Physics news on Phys.org
zomgwtf said:
Maybe things changed but my girlfriend is black and so are all her friends. They don't talk like that, not at all.

This comes from street lingo. It is gutter language. If you were to hang out with a black gang for a time, no doubt you would hear the expression used often if not hourly. From what I've seen on news shows covering the gang problem, it is or was common for gang members to refer to any woman as a "ho". I've also heard about this from a friend [white] whose son got into gangster rap.

Last edited:
John Archibald Wheeler, Richard Feynman's graduate thesis adviser and leading general relativist, coined the term "black hole." He was dismayed that some people misinterpreted the phrase as an insult to women from French slang. He was a gentleman and only had the intention of creating a specific physical metaphor - possibly unsurpassed to this day.

rootX said:
Yep found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0P_XiYZl9k

nothing much in it. I didn't go beyond 40 seconds.

Total nonsense.

Who cares what the racist NAACP says. There was a time in U.S. history when certain parts of the country needed sensible proponents in the marketplace of ideas concerning treatment of people irrespective of their skin color. Now, they and many other organizations play the race card merely for political ammunition and gain.

zoobyshoe said:
No, as defined to me, it does not mean "promiscuous". It means the girl is of no account except as a means for a guy to get his rocks off; of use as a mere sex object at best, with nothing else to contribute.

I suspect that the le version simply evolved from the re version, due to the identical pronunciation in the black, street culture, and gangland.

Another stellar example of the results of LBJ's "Great Society". :wink:

The Hanes stocking company should award the NAACP their "Black Hose" award for excellence in diverting attention away from real problems.

Shackleford said:
Who cares what the racist NAACP says. There was a time in U.S. history when certain parts of the country needed sensible proponents in the marketplace of ideas concerning treatment of people irrespective of their skin color. Now, they and many other organizations play the race card merely for political ammunition and gain.

yes, this. part of my vote for Obama was for not having to put up with this kind of crap anymore.

BW338 said:

Actually, having a black political prodigy as President is a better example of that one. :wink: :wink:

I've known plenty of educated and intelligent African Americans...
None of them sound or behave like the people in the NAACP. I think the guy was using the word "reasonable" loosely... Very loosely.

Why would the solar system have to watch out for African American women? I'm sure planets have much more to fear from astrophysicists/planetary taxonomists :rofl:

BW338 said:
If by that you mean "thanks to LBJ's Great Society, the NAACP no longer needs to worry about the problems which abounded during its creation a century ago, and now has the time to find itself concerned with an "offensive" greeting card," then yes, job well done.

Back