Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Naive Understanding of Dark Matter and Dark Energy

Tags:
  1. May 31, 2013 #1
    Hello all,

I am still an undergraduate, but I would like to ask a really naive question. From a cosmological point of view, does the necessity for the introduction of Dark Matter and Dark Energy in order to satisfy our current models of prediction mean that our models are fundamentally flawed?

I suppose I don't understand why they must be introduced, can someone help me understand why?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it does not indicate that the models are flawed at all. In fact it COMPLETES the model. Models are attempts to describe what is and dark matter and dark energy, although not well understood, are certainly part of what is and therefore have to be a part of any model that has any validity.

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.4446

the above article has a good coverage of DE and DH.
    As well as expands on Phinds post.

5. Jun 2, 2013 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

I'd also like to add that there has been a sort of minority industry in the cosmology community that has been attempting to come up with alternative solutions to these. They have generally failed to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook