1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name of this type of function.

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Hi all. Can someone tell me the name for the following type of function:

y = a^(1/x)

where:
    a = a constant
    x = the variable...

Also, am I right, that the next function is called an exponential function?

y = a^x

Are the two functions related? Is the first some type of subset of the second?

Thank-ya!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2
    Yes, that's the exponential functions and the second (y = a^x) is common case of the first (y = a^(1/x) ). Therefore they have similar characteristics. In this particular case function number 1 will increase or decrease (it depends on sign of the constant "a") less intensively than function number 2.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    Ok so both are exponential because the variable x is somewhere with the exponent.

One thing though. You said that the second is a case of the first? That's odd I would think that the first is a case of the second since the first has a little bit more complicated looking exponent. Any comments on that?

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4
    I don't know why really in English language this type of functions called "exponential", because for instance in Russian there are different names for y(x)=x^e ("экспоненциальная функция" = "exponential function") and y(x)=a^x ("показательная функция" ≈ "index-of-power function")

No, the first is a subcase of the second, but the second is GENERAL case of the first)
    There is math term known as 'сombined function' and y1(x) = a^(1/x) is combination of y2(z)=a^z and z(x) = 1/x.
    In other words:
    y2(z) = a^z (here z is intermediate variable) = a^z(x) = a^(1/x) = y2(z(x)) = y1(x).
    It's like russian matryoshka))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook