What is the notation for denoting constants in a function?

• B
  • Thread starter Zap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation discussed the notation for denoting a function with constants a and b, which are not exactly variables but can be changed. The suggested notations were f(x;a,b) or f_{a,b}(x), but it was noted that there is no one correct way to do it as long as it is clearly understood. The use of a semicolon was also mentioned as a common way to denote constants in a function.
Zap
TL;DR Summary
Looking for the mathematical expression for a parameter in a formula
I remember in grad school encountering the notation for what was referred to as either a parameter of a function or something like a constant variable.

For example, typically we denote a function as f( x ), where x is the independent variable.
If the function f( x ) = ax + b, then a and b are constants.

My question is how would I write the function to denote that it is using constants a and b, which aren't exactly variables but they can be changed.

Something like f( a, b ... x ) ?

I don't remember how to denote it, but I remember there was a way of doing so.
Does anyone know?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It could be written as ##f(x;a,b)## or ##f_{a,b}(x)## but there is no one and only answer. You can do it as you like as long as it's obvious - or explained - what is meant.

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu and Zap
Ah, it was the semicolon. That is what I saw. Fantastic!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the notation for denoting constants in a function?

The notation for denoting constants in a function is typically a lowercase letter, such as "c" or "k", followed by an equal sign and the constant value. For example, if the constant is 3, the notation would be "c = 3".

2. Can constants be represented by symbols other than letters?

Yes, constants can be represented by symbols other than letters, as long as they are not already used as mathematical operators. Common symbols used for constants include Greek letters (e.g. π, θ) and special characters (e.g. ∞, ℏ).

3. How do constants differ from variables in a function?

Constants and variables serve different purposes in a function. Constants are fixed values that do not change, while variables can take on different values. In mathematical notation, constants are typically denoted by letters and variables are denoted by symbols such as "x" or "y".

4. Do constants have to be included in a function's notation?

No, constants do not have to be included in a function's notation. If a function does not have any constants, the notation will only include variables and mathematical operators. However, if a constant is included in the function, it should be clearly denoted in the notation.

5. How are constants used in mathematical functions?

Constants are used in mathematical functions to represent fixed values that are necessary for the function to work correctly. They can be used to adjust the shape or position of a function's graph, or to represent physical constants in scientific equations. In some cases, constants may also be used to simplify calculations or make them more efficient.