Nanopores for sequencing DNA - question on beads?

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, the process of nanopore sequencing involves using a graphene sheet with a hole to force DNA through and measure its conductance to determine its base. To address the issue of DNA moving too quickly through the pore, micron-sized beads are attached to the DNA using optical tweezers. This slows down the movement of the DNA and allows for more accurate base identification. The beads also help in measuring the force pulling the DNA through the bead and the change in force for each base. The voltage across the nanopore is not measured in this instance. Multiple DNAs are attached to the bead to ensure only one molecule is going through the nanopore at a time. The details of this process can be found in the cited paper.
rwooduk
Hi, maybe someone here could help explain this, I understand the concept of a nanopore; a graphene sheet with a hole burned in it, force DNA through it and measure the conductance to determine the base. But I'm unclear how micron sized beads help the process. Please find attached a slide from my lecture notes, any explanation of how the beads help sequencing, or what they are doing to the DNA would be really appreciated. The notes say the optical tweezers (that keep the bead in place) can manupulate the DNA, but why is there 3 strands of DNA attached to the bead? what is happening?

stgv1dp.jpg

thanks for any help

Biology news on Phys.org
In general, nanopore seqeuencing does not require the DNA to be attached to a bead. One of the problems with nanopore sequencing, however, is that the DNA often goes through the pore too fast to get enough data to accurately identify each base. While there have been many attempts to solve this problem, the paper you cite attaches the DNA to a bead in order to use optical tweezers to measure the force pulling the DNA through the bead as well as slow the rate at which the DNA moves through the pore.

There are multiple DNAs attached to the bead because it's difficult to make beads with only one DNA molecule attached (presumably the authors did some controls to show that the nanopore only has one molecule of DNA going through at a time).

Likes rwooduk
Ygggdrasil said:
In general, nanopore seqeuencing does not require the DNA to be attached to a bead. One of the problems with nanopore sequencing, however, is that the DNA often goes through the pore too fast to get enough data to accurately identify each base. While there have been many attempts to solve this problem, the paper you cite attaches the DNA to a bead in order to use optical tweezers to measure the force pulling the DNA through the bead as well as slow the rate at which the DNA moves through the pore.

There are multiple DNAs attached to the bead because it's difficult to make beads with only one DNA molecule attached (presumably the authors did some controls to show that the nanopore only has one molecule of DNA going through at a time).

Many thanks, that explain why the beads are used. I'm not sure on your second point, does the DNA go through the nanopore, attach itself to the bead and then get dragged through the nanopore when the optical tweezers are adjusted in such a way to create a gradient force on the bead, i.e. cause the bead to move dragging the DNA through the nanopore? and are you saying that the change in pulling force is measured and will be different for each base? so is the voltage across the base as it passes through the nanopore not measured in this instance?

thanks again

From the methods section of the paper you cite: (http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/v2/n7/full/nphys344.html)
Beads with DNA are flushed into the cell, trapped with the optical tweezers setup, and brought close to the nanopore. When initially trapping the DNA-coated bead, the voltage across the nanopore is applied such that no DNA will enter the nanopore. After trapping one bead, 5
glyph.gif
l of buffer without beads is flushed through the cell, which has a volume of 1
glyph.gif
l.
You can probably find the answer to your other questions by reading through the paper, but without having read it carefully myself, I would not expect the pulling force to vary for each base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes rwooduk
Ygggdrasil said:
From the methods section of the paper you cite: (http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/v2/n7/full/nphys344.html)

You can probably find the answer to your other questions by reading through the paper, but without having read it carefully myself, I would not expect the pulling force to vary for each base.

excellent, thanks very much for your replies!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are nanopores, and how are they used for sequencing DNA?

Nanopores are tiny, nanoscale-sized holes that are used to detect and sequence DNA molecules. They are typically made of a conductive material and are embedded in a membrane. When a DNA molecule passes through a nanopore, it causes a change in the electrical current, which can be used to identify the sequence of nucleotides in the DNA.

2. What are the advantages of using nanopores for DNA sequencing?

Nanopore sequencing has several advantages over other sequencing methods. It is a single-molecule sequencing technique, meaning that it can sequence DNA without the need for amplification, reducing the risk of errors. It is also a fast and relatively inexpensive method, with the potential for high throughput and real-time sequencing.

3. How do beads play a role in nanopore sequencing?

Beads are often used in nanopore sequencing as a way to control the movement of DNA molecules through the nanopore. The DNA is attached to the beads, which are then passed through the nanopore. This ensures that the DNA is properly aligned and allows for more accurate sequencing.

4. What are some potential applications of nanopore sequencing with beads?

Nanopore sequencing with beads has many potential applications, including medical diagnostics, environmental monitoring, and genetic research. It can be used to identify genetic mutations, study gene expression, and detect pathogens in a sample.

5. What are the current limitations of nanopore sequencing with beads?

While nanopore sequencing with beads has many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is the accuracy of the sequencing. Although it is improving, nanopore sequencing still has a higher error rate compared to other sequencing methods. Additionally, the cost of equipment and reagents for nanopore sequencing can be a barrier for some researchers.