Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Narrowing searching parameters?

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    When I try to search for let's say "game theory," the server returns some threads with the word "game" and some with the word "theory." In between those threads, there will show up a less frequent occurrence of "game theory" which is what I would be interested in. So is there a way to narrow down the search such that threads with words "game" and "theory" written respectively will be found?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I've found the search tool here to be somewhat problematic, since it does seem to pick up individual words in a string rather than the entire string.

One way to way to narrow a search is to go to a particular forum to limit the search range.

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78 (Set Theory, Logic & Statistics)

I'm not sure of the syntax, so I tried game+theory and game AND theory. The first approach just found individual incidences of game and theory, while that latter found those as well as the string.

One way to search PF is use Google with "Physicforums" first, followed by words or exact string, e.g. "game theory".

IIRC, Greg posted something about the search function around here somewhere, but I can't recall where off the top of my head.
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You would have got the correct hits if you used quotation marks: "game theory".

However, this particular search capability is restricted to certain usergroups: Admins, Mentors, Science Advisors and Homework Helpers. I would have expected that Contributors also be included, but from waht's post, I'm guessing they are not.

Waht, your best option then is to use Google with the following search phrase: "game theory" site:physicsforums.com
  5. Jan 26, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Otherwise, you can always try a Google search on
    "game theory" site:physicsforums.com
  6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
    It works great with the quotation marks, that's for clarifying the syntax. PF returned right on matches on "game theory." :smile:
  7. Jan 26, 2008 #6
    Gold members can use boolean searching.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?