Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NASA working on warp drive experiments

Tags:
  1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    I've been trying to follow these experiments that NASA is doing to try and warp space-time on a microscopic scale. Obviously that won't have us traveling at FTL speeds yet, but it would be proof of concept. From what I read, they are using a laser, and some kind of special ceramic material (I think) to try and make a microscopic warp. Now it's also said that a full sized drive would need some kind of unknown exotic matter to be useful. (That would be the next major hurdle in changing this from plausible to practical) I understand the basics of how they are making the measurements to see if a warp is created or not, and they are looking in the range of a few parts per million. My question is that I don't seem to understand how a laser could be expected to make such a warp in space-time? The articles I read weren't very clear on that part, so would anyone be able to explain how a laser could have that effect?

Moderators: I am not sure if I put this in the correct forum, so please move to a better place if needed.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    The only paper Ive seen deals with the exotic materials also covers some of the principles of manufacture may help. Or at least be of interest.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.5663

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3
    Thank you so much. As you said, it doesn't cover what the laser experiments have to do with it, but as far as the materials we could possible use, it was extremely interesting reading (even if some of it was a little over my head)

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4
    No problem it is a good article. If your interested I have another article covering a possible hazard of using the alcubierre drive. The spacetime warping can attract and generate dangerous levels of radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook