Moving through Air, Dust, and Solid Objects with Warp Drive

In summary, warp drive would be very dangerous if used to travel through obstacles, as you would be moving very quickly in your reference frame and could potentially crash into things.
Jarvis323
What would happen if you tried to fly through obstacles using warp drive? Distorting space so that two points are closer wouldn't get around the fact that there might be obstacles (e.g. air molecules, space dust, empire destroyers) that you would bump into along the way right. Would all of that stuff appear more densely packed along the direction you compressed space-time? In your reference frame, you could be going through it all very slowly right, with little inertia? So what would it be like if you tried using warp drive to travel along a path with such obstacles? Are there any good sci-fi books that have addressed this issue in depth?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the Star Trek universe this is the purpose of the Main Deflector, it is supposed to remove dust and other very small objects out of the way. I don't think you could actually fly "through" anything.

Likes Jarvis323
MikeeMiracle said:
In the Star Trek universe this is the purpose of the Main Deflector, it is supposed to remove dust and other very small objects out of the way. I don't think you could actually fly "through" anything.
I could be wrong, but I imagine you wouldn't need to worry much about the danger of crashing into things, because you wouldn't actually be moving very fast in your reference frame, the things in front of you would just be closer to you. Upon running into something, you might be able to slowly push through it, or move around it? For example, moving through air might be like moving through molasses? Moving through outer space, it might seem really dusty? And objects would appear warped and very thin? Running into the empire destroyer would be like running into a really heavy photograph?

Jarvis323 said:
What would happen if you tried to fly through obstacles using warp drive?
Since it's fiction you can make up whatever rationale you like. "Main Deflector" sounds good.

Likes Astronuc and Jarvis323
phinds said:
Since it's fiction you can make up whatever rationale you like. "Main Deflector" sounds good.
Not if it's hard scifi though.

'Ain't no sci fi hard enough!

Really, any sci fi with faster than light travel is going to have to make SOMETHING up.

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Jarvis323, russ_watters and 1 other person
Jarvis323 said:
Not if it's hard scifi though.
Jeez, you think Star Trek is hard sci-fic? Seriously? Maybe compared to, for example, Star Wars, but not really.

Likes russ_watters
Not sure how accurate if at all the following analogy is, when I had warp drive explained to me in simple terms it was to imagine a surfer in the sea. If the surfer could control the water it would be like the rear of the surf board could lift the water behind it and the front of the surfboard could lower the water in front of it. The surf board would then "ride" on this constant "wave." If this is in any way accurate then you would be able to go through anything.

Using warp drive you are expanding the space behind you and shrinking the space in front of you causing a similar effect.

Likes Jarvis323
phinds said:
Jeez, you think Star Trek is hard sci-fic? Seriously? Maybe compared to, for example, Star Wars, but not really.

No, I don't. Any Sci Fi is going to soften over time, as it's concepts get outdated. Blade Runner looks pretty silly these days with it's CRT screens showing 8-bit graphics.

Jarvis323 said:
What would happen if you tried to fly through obstacles using warp drive?

In Star Wars it depends on the script. Admiral Holdo can lightspeed another ship to death but Han Solo can go to lightspeed within another ship without causing any damage. The question is what should happen and the answer is nothing. Destroying a ship using FTL raises the question why this is not used as a weapon all the time. It is the same trap that Star Trek fell into with the transporter. They are always forced to come up with reasons why they don't work under certain conditions. The best way to avoid this problem is making FTL ships not interacting with non FTL obstacles.

Likes Jarvis323
Jarvis323 said:
What would happen if you tried to fly through obstacles using warp drive? Distorting space so that two points are closer wouldn't get around the fact that there might be obstacles (e.g. air molecules, space dust, empire destroyers) that you would bump into along the way right. Would all of that stuff appear more densely packed along the direction you compressed space-time? In your reference frame, you could be going through it all very slowly right, with little inertia? So what would it be like if you tried using warp drive to travel along a path with such obstacles? Are there any good sci-fi books that have addressed this issue in depth?
"Tau Zero" by Poul Anderson
what if you went so fast you survived the next big bang.

Likes Jarvis323
MikeeMiracle said:
Not sure how accurate if at all the following analogy is, when I had warp drive explained to me in simple terms it was to imagine a surfer in the sea. If the surfer could control the water it would be like the rear of the surf board could lift the water behind it and the front of the surfboard could lower the water in front of it. The surf board would then "ride" on this constant "wave." If this is in any way accurate then you would be able to go through anything.

Using warp drive you are expanding the space behind you and shrinking the space in front of you causing a similar effect.
If a surfboard encounters another surf board they both slip into the same dip.

Likes Jarvis323
Jarvis323 said:
I could be wrong, but I imagine you wouldn't need to worry much about the danger of crashing into things, because you wouldn't actually be moving very fast in your reference frame, the things in front of you would just be closer to you. Upon running into something, you might be able to slowly push through it, or move around it? For example, moving through air might be like moving through molasses? Moving through outer space, it might seem really dusty? And objects would appear warped and very thin? Running into the empire destroyer would be like running into a really heavy photograph?

Could you scoop that molasses?

Could we bulldozer warp through planets? That would make mining Neptune much easier. The photo paper thin layer in front of the dozer blade would pop out into a column 49,000 km long. That could probably be weaponized too.

Would be rather embarrassing for diplomats. The ship arrives and puffs out 4 light years of dust accumulation. Disrupts the climate and sets off accelerated Kessler syndrome.

Likes Jarvis323
Space and very thin gas might get out of the way of an Alcubierre Drive, but I seriously doubt that significant mass would without, at best, seriously straining the 'warp field integrity'...

Which is why my hard-ish Convention SciFi tales invoke a 'Vernon Preventer' which sort of holds everything together just long enough to get clear of not-too-big stuff. Conversely, faced with the xenocidal Others' marauding 'battlecruiser' Tagglis and 'Oh-Sh**t' BMFs, they weaponised such tech to deliver massive doses of Cherenkov radiation, zapping crew, EMPing IT and de-stabilising the Others' anti-matter fuel confinement...

Likes Jarvis323
shjacks45 said:
"Tau Zero" by Poul Anderson
what if you went so fast you survived the next big bang.
As I recall, Poul started that one being real worried about small, high speed obstructions that were dangerous precisely because of their high relative speed and then *abra cadabra* switched frames of reference so that obstructions are safe precisely because of the high relative speed.

Lost immersion in the story because of that plot impossibility.

Ah, yes: The ship became so massive that it could have smacked planets and small stars aside like bugs on wind-shield...

( By the time they'd reached that speed, all the truly massive stars had died like so many mayflies. Plus, they'd steered via inter-galactic void for safety... )

At low speed, you could steer around hazards. At sufficiently high speed, there were no significant hazards beyond time-dilation and the visibly ageing universe. It was the region in between that could kill...

IIRC, despite the 'Huh ?' factor, the math was sort of okay. But I really, really would not care to trust my life to it...

IMHO, I don't think he knew of, or allowed for 'Black Holes', especially 'Galactic Centre' monsters...

phinds said:
In some episodes (like “The Outrageous Okona”) the deflector is referred to as the ‘Navigational Deflector’.

1. How does a warp drive work?

A warp drive is a theoretical propulsion system that would allow a spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light by warping the fabric of space-time. This is achieved by creating a bubble of space-time around the spacecraft and contracting the space in front of it while expanding the space behind it, effectively creating a "warp" in space-time. This allows the spacecraft to move through space without actually breaking the speed of light barrier.

2. What are the potential benefits of using a warp drive?

The main benefit of a warp drive is the ability to travel vast distances in a relatively short amount of time. This could greatly reduce the travel time for space exploration missions and potentially open up new frontiers for human exploration. It could also have applications in interstellar travel and could potentially be used for faster transportation on Earth.

3. Are there any limitations to using a warp drive?

Currently, the biggest limitation to using a warp drive is that it is purely theoretical and has not been proven to work. The concept is based on the theory of general relativity, but there are still many technological and scientific challenges that need to be overcome before a functional warp drive can be built. Additionally, the amount of energy required to create a warp bubble is currently beyond our capabilities.

4. How does a warp drive deal with potential hazards in space?

One of the potential hazards in space is the presence of dust and particles that could damage a spacecraft. A warp drive would create a protective bubble around the spacecraft, effectively shielding it from any potential hazards. However, this technology is still theoretical and it is unknown how effective it would be in dealing with all types of hazards in space.

5. Is there any progress being made in developing a functional warp drive?

While there have been some theoretical advances in the concept of a warp drive, there is currently no evidence that a functional warp drive is feasible. Some scientists are working on developing the technology, but it is still in its very early stages. It will likely be many years before we see a working warp drive, if it is possible at all.