NASA's new WISE Survey Results (and dark matter)

• Thread starter d3mm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    nasa
d3mm
NASA yesterday on the 29th published a survey in which they claimed the detection of many new stellar objects. The press release continues to say this includes super-massive black holes 2/3 of which were previously undiscovered.

This is a lot more mass than we previously knew existed. What are the effects of this on dark matter?

http://phys.org/news/2012-08-wise-survey-uncovers-millions-black.html

EDIT The location of these black holes is unclear. I have (perhaps naively) ignored the new galaxies since dark matter is concentrated in a halo around a galaxy and thus should not be affected, but what is the location of the black holes?

Answers and Replies

Chalnoth
Science Advisor
NASA yesterday on the 29th published a survey in which they claimed the detection of many new stellar objects. The press release continues to say this includes super-massive black holes 2/3 of which were previously undiscovered.

This is a lot more mass than we previously knew existed. What are the effects of this on dark matter?

http://phys.org/news/2012-08-wise-survey-uncovers-millions-black.html

EDIT The location of these black holes is unclear. I have (perhaps naively) ignored the new galaxies since dark matter is concentrated in a halo around a galaxy and thus should not be affected, but what is the location of the black holes?
None. Black holes make up a tiny, tiny fraction of the mass of the visible matter. The typical supermassive black hole is less than a couple percent, sometimes less than a fraction of a percent of its host galaxy.

DaveDash
Also as far as I am aware, there is an upper bound limit on the number of baryonic matter in the universe, which is where dark matter comes in.

So even if we start to discover a lot more matter out there (ie black holes), it still won't effect this upper bound limit, and still won't effect the equations of dark matter.

Suggested for: NASA's new WISE Survey Results (and dark matter)

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views