Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Spectrum of the Universe?

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    Specifically I'm interested in knowing if there are any frequencies that don't occur naturally - though a graph of observed spectra would be a nice start.

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

"Entire spectrum" of what?

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are not.

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6
    It would still be nice to have a graph of the spectrums seen with relative amplitudes.

8. Jan 27, 2015 #7
    The EM spectrum - what this post is about.

9. Jan 28, 2015 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What part of the CMB spectrum do you find objectionable? Do you think it filters out other background contributions- like from stars and dust? If so, provide citations.

10. Jan 28, 2015 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am sorry that I didn't do all the work that you asked me to.

11. Jan 28, 2015 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This will depend heavily on your position. As an example: close to a star, the stellar spectrum is a good approximation for the total flux, while far away from stars (or even from galaxies) the CMB is more important. The other energy ranges depend on your position as well.

12. Jan 28, 2015 #11
    Nothing whatsoever - the issue is not having a graph of the relative amplitudes by frequency.

13. Jan 28, 2015 #12
    This is a fair point - I guess I'm just looking for the best average across the universe as far as we can tell at this point.

14. Jan 28, 2015 #13
    http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~kgb/cosspec/ [Broken] is one for just the visual range.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook