Navier Stokes EQs: Some Insight Please

In summary, the conversation revolved around the confusion surrounding the sign convention in the momentum equation in Conservative Integral form for a control volume. The confusion stemmed from the notation used for the third term in the equation, which made it seem like an increase in force in the positive coordinate direction was equated to an increase in outflow of momentum regardless of the direction of flow. The solution to this confusion was to write the term as (\rho \vec V)(\vec V.\vec n)dA, where \vec n is the outwards normal of S and dA is the scalar area, making it clear that the sign changes depending on whether \vec V is flowing into or out of the volume.
Saladsamurai
I have been doing some serious review of fluids in order to prep for some CFD. I have been re-deriving the NS Equations in all of their various forms. Something seems to have cropped up that I have worked myself in circles about. Let's take the momentum equation in Conservative Integral form:

$$\sum \vec{F} =\left(\frac{d\vec{M}}{dt}\right)_{system} \qquad (1)$$
$$\sum \vec{F} =
\frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}\iiint_{\mathcal{V}}(\rho\vec{V})d\mathcal{V} +
\iint_S(\rho\vec{V})\vec{V}\cdot d\vec{s} \qquad (2)$$

The 3rd term in the equation (2) for a control volume is the net outflow of momentum from the control volume. What I am a little confused about is the sign convention here. The left-hand side of the equation takes forces acting along the positive coordinate axes as being positive. But the right-hand side takes outflow to be positive regardless of the coordinate axes.

So it seems that an increase in force acting in the positive coordinate direction is equated to an increase of outflow of momentum from the CV regardless of what direction it flows out from.

I hope that maybe someone can see what I am getting at. I think that my confusion might be stemming from what happens when we go from a system approach to a control volume approach (i.e. application of the Reynold's Transport Theorem (RTT)).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your notation of ##(\rho \vec V)\vec V.ds## is probably confusing you. The "##ds##" must be a vector quantity for ##\vec V.ds## to make any sense.

If you write it as ##(\rho \vec V)(\vec V.\vec n)dA##, where ##\vec n## is the outwards normal of ##S## and ##dA## is the scalar area, it should be clear that the sign changes if ##\vec V## is flowing into or out of the volume.

AlephZero said:
Your notation of ##(\rho \vec V)\vec V.ds## is probably confusing you. The "##ds##" must be a vector quantity for ##\vec V.ds## to make any sense.

If you write it as ##(\rho \vec V)(\vec V.\vec n)dA##, where ##\vec n## is the outwards normal of ##S## and ##dA## is the scalar area, it should be clear that the sign changes if ##\vec V## is flowing into or out of the volume.

Hi AlephZero :smile: I fixed the typo, but this is not my source of confusion. I understand that inflow is negative and outflow is positive. What I don't understand is why...

1. What are Navier-Stokes equations?

Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluid substances, such as liquids and gases. They are used in many fields of science and engineering to model fluid flow and understand complex physical phenomena.

2. Who developed the Navier-Stokes equations?

The equations were developed by Claude-Louis Navier and George Gabriel Stokes in the early 19th century. They built upon the work of earlier scientists, such as Leonhard Euler, to create a more comprehensive understanding of fluid mechanics.

3. What are the applications of Navier-Stokes equations?

Navier-Stokes equations have a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, meteorology, oceanography, and engineering. They are used to study and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as aircrafts, weather patterns, and ocean currents.

4. What is the significance of Navier-Stokes equations in science?

Navier-Stokes equations are considered one of the most important and challenging problems in mathematics and physics. They provide a fundamental understanding of fluid dynamics and play a crucial role in many areas of research and technology, from designing efficient airplanes to predicting weather patterns.

5. Are Navier-Stokes equations solved analytically or numerically?

Navier-Stokes equations can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding exact mathematical expressions for the variables in the equations, while numerical solutions involve using computational methods to approximate the solutions. In most cases, numerical solutions are used due to the complex nature of the equations and the wide range of applications they are used for.