Should I say hi to neighbors who go quiet when I come out?

  • Thread starter Thread starter HeLiXe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
HeLiXe
Messages
439
Reaction score
1
I think I need some guidance with being polite. If my neighbors are outside talking and they get quiet as I come out of my car, does that mean I am supposed to say hi? Sometimes people get angry at me for not saying hello, and then sometimes they get angry when I say hello, so I don't know what to do anymore.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cultural differences, particularly if they hold some kind of prejudice :confused:

There are too many people like that ...

or other could be some kind of social phobia among them, there are also many people who are too private.
 
Yeah nowadays I just keep quiet unless someone says hello to me first.
 
HeLiXe said:
Yeah nowadays I just keep quiet unless someone says hello to me first.

That works.
 
HeLiXe said:
I think I need some guidance with being polite. If my neighbors are outside talking and they get quiet as I come out of my car, does that mean I am supposed to say hi? Sometimes people get angry at me for not saying hello, and then sometimes they get angry when I say hello, so I don't know what to do anymore.

I look people directly in the eye. If we make eye contact, I say hi. If not, I keep walking.

A bit rude of them to stop talking as you approach, IMO. But you never know, they might be talking about something really sensitive.
 
I believe she brought this up earlier in RT also. Her neighbors do seem bit awkward :rolleyes:
 
Thanks lisab. I didn't know if they were being rude or waiting for me to say hello lol.
 
rootX said:
I believe she brought this up earlier in RT also. Her neighbors do seem bit awkward :rolleyes:

Yeah I moved the end of last month, but they are still being weird about greetings here and they keep staring at me but not saying anything LOL. I said hello to some and they said hello back, but some others did not and then one even came in my backyard and looked at me but did not say anything. It's so weird.

I'm planning on getting a fence >_>
 
HeLiXe said:
I think I need some guidance with being polite. If my neighbors are outside talking and they get quiet as I come out of my car, does that mean I am supposed to say hi? Sometimes people get angry at me for not saying hello, and then sometimes they get angry when I say hello, so I don't know what to do anymore.
Don't worry about it too much, its really not very important. I used to agonize over the same thing when I was younger, they sound just like ex neighbors of mine from years ago. Just say hello to the friendly ones and ignore the unfriendly ones, and you'll be fine.
 
Thanks so much Frankly :) Agonize is really the perfect verb to explain it lol.