Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Need a more powerful calculator (beyond ti-89T, hp50g)

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am an engineering student that loves writing programs for my ti calculators.

I am currently using a texas instruments voyage 200, I love the screen and the qwerty keyboard. But I KEEP running into limitations with these things. I am approaching the point where calculations are migrating from handheld calculators to computers running matlab or maple.

However, I do not want a fully functional laptop or netbook. I want something relatively small that I can punch numbers in quickly without having too many internet distractions. I have been thinking about some embedded intel atom device running linux + maple + matlab. But I realize that these things are pretty new.

I was thinking about something the size of this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834251004

Is there anybody out there that has any suggestions??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    You could consider the program spacetime running on an iPhone, iPod-touch or ipad.

Spacetime offers a one month free demo that runs on windows or mac/os. You can try it and see if it meets your needs.

I use it and prefer it to my hp49g, but the symbolics is not quite as good as you'll get on a typical computer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook