Need Advice: Passing a Ball Bearing from Air to Water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Frank Dorrian
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
A one way valve that could facilitate transport of a metal ball bearing between air and a fluid (I.e. water) whilst remaining water tight
Hi all, I'm new to this but joined in the hope someone with more experience could provide some advice. In a personal project, I have a particular design dilemma where I am trying to pass a metal ball bearing (or any other spherical shaped solid) from a column of air into a column of water without the water passing back up.

If anyone has any bright ideas as to what one way valve would be best for this situation I would love to hear your suggestions!

Much love
Frank
 
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I think you need a sketch. My first reading of your description leads me to think of a BB gun firing a BB projectile into a body of water. I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.

You can drag-drop an image into a post, or click on the Attach files button.
 
If you think about how the ball is inflated, maybe you'll get an idea. Using the soft glue will allow air to follow the ball.
 
Last edited:
A ball valve is a ball with a hole drilled through, set in a sphere with matching holes at 180*. Rotation aligns or misaligns the holes.
Plugging one end of the rotating ball would allow a bearing (or other material) to be placed in the remaining end and be rotated to the liquid without breaking the air/liquid seal.
Available from under 3mm to over 75mm at pipe supply businesses.

This may not apply, depending on requirements not available without a sketch.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: OCR