Need an Exact Explanation of the Double Slit Experiment

In summary, the Double Slit Experiment involves shooting particles at a pair of slits and observing the resulting interference pattern. The particles used can vary, but photons are commonly used. When the particles are observed, the wave function collapses, causing the particles to behave like particles instead of waves. The exact cause of the wave function collapse is still a topic of debate in quantum mechanics.
OniLink++
All I know about the Double Slit Experiment is that some particles are shot at a pair of slits, and the particle apparently splits, goes through both slits, and interferes with itself, creating an interference pattern, but if the particles are observed, they collapse and give the results you'd expect from particles. However, I need details.
1. What particles are used in the experiment? I've heard conflicting stories. Some people say electrons, others say we don't have the tech to use electrons, so we use neutrons. Which is it?
2. How are the particles observed? If the answer to this is what I'm thinking, I'll have another question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on man, you are of the google generation, use it.
This is perhaps the single most famous experiment in all of science history, there are infinite explanations who will give you all the answers regarding the details on how the experiment is conducted.
Just type in "double slit" in google and you'll find infinite sources.

From one of the first research groups to actually do this experiment using electrons:

http://www.hitachi.com/rd/research/em/doubleslit.html

Fyzix said:
Come on man, you are of the google generation, use it.
This is perhaps the single most famous experiment in all of science history, there are infinite explanations who will give you all the answers regarding the details on how the experiment is conducted.
Just type in "double slit" in google and you'll find infinite sources.

Google is how I learned what I know. If the information wasn't vague or contradictory, I wouldn't be asking.

OniLink++ said:
All I know about the Double Slit Experiment is that some particles are shot at a pair of slits, and the particle apparently splits, goes through both slits, and interferes with itself, creating an interference pattern, but if the particles are observed, they collapse and give the results you'd expect from particles. However, I need details.
1. What particles are used in the experiment? I've heard conflicting stories. Some people say electrons, others say we don't have the tech to use electrons, so we use neutrons. Which is it?
2. How are the particles observed? If the answer to this is what I'm thinking, I'll have another question.

What particle? That shouldn't be hard to guess. Young's double split experiment was done back in the 20th-19th century where modern technology was just nurturing. Photon, is the only candidate which comes to my mind.

Here's how it all works:

We eject a no. of photons (or any particle with which quantum phenomenon is observable) at a screen . In between the laser/gun, wall we have two slit. The following observations we will notice:
1)If a given no. of photons are fired at the wall over a certain period, we should notice a point,a dot on the screen.This happens when one of the slit is covered.Showing us that light has particle-like attributes.

2)If a given no. of photons (or as above ^ *) are fired at the wall over a certain period, we notice that this time an interference pattern is observed.Indicating wave-like property of light.This happens when both the slits are wide open and since we don't know which slit the photon/s went through i.e we are uncertain over it's position .

Technically, QM proposes that when we know the exact path of a given particle,we bring it into a definite position/spatial co-ordinate. In other words, we collapse the wave-function of the photon (wave-function is the probability distribution which consists of high and low outcomes ,you can liken it to frequency of existing at state, A,B,C,X,Y,Z,)

There are various Q. Mechanical interpretations.. for CI: read on Schrodinger's 'cat in a box experiment' then there's MWI and so on.. something which I am not familiar with,yet.

-ibysaiyan

Young experiment in 1799 was done using photons.

ibysaiyan said:
What particle? That shouldn't be hard to guess. Young's double split experiment was done back in the 20th-19th century where modern technology was just nurturing. Photon, is the only candidate which comes to my mind.

Here's how it all works:

We eject a no. of photons (or any particle with which quantum phenomenon is observable) at a screen . In between the laser/gun, wall we have two slit. The following observations we will notice:
1)If a given no. of photons are fired at the wall over a certain period, we should notice a point,a dot on the screen.This happens when one of the slit is covered.Showing us that light has particle-like attributes.

2)If a given no. of photons (or as above ^ *) are fired at the wall over a certain period, we notice that this time an interference pattern is observed.Indicating wave-like property of light.This happens when both the slits are wide open and since we don't know which slit the photon/s went through i.e we are uncertain over it's position .

Technically, QM proposes that when we know the exact path of a given particle,we bring it into a definite position/spatial co-ordinate. In other words, we collapse the wave-function of the photon (wave-function is the probability distribution which consists of high and low outcomes ,you can liken it to frequency of existing at state, A,B,C,X,Y,Z,)

There are various Q. Mechanical interpretations.. for CI: read on Schrodinger's 'cat in a box experiment' then there's MWI and so on.. something which I am not familiar with,yet.

-ibysaiyan

Wait, I'm talking about modern versions of the experiment, which use particles like neutrons or electrons. Also, you guys are only answering half of my question. I also want to know how the wave function collapse is caused. Everything I've read has said that observing the particle as it enters a slit will cause the wave function to collapse so that instead of giving an interference pattern, it gives the expected result for particles. I want to know how they perform this observation.

OniLink++ said:
Wait, I'm talking about modern versions of the experiment, which use particles like neutrons or electrons. Also, you guys are only answering half of my question. I also want to know how the wave function collapse is caused. Everything I've read has said that observing the particle as it enters a slit will cause the wave function to collapse so that instead of giving an interference pattern, it gives the expected result for particles. I want to know how they perform this observation.

If that was so obvious and into everyone's knowledge then we wouldn't have this many interpretations of QM. I'll be honest I don't know other then what I have said... HUP is applied but I don't know what causes the collapse. Having read same threads on this forum the general consensus is that consciousness doesn't cause the collapse.
-ibysaiyan

Since no measurement can tell us if the wave function is collapsed or not collapsed why is it even considered a part of the physical world?

ibysaiyan said:
If that was so obvious and into everyone's knowledge then we wouldn't have this many interpretations of QM. I'll be honest I don't know other then what I have said... HUP is applied but I don't know what causes the collapse. Having read same threads on this forum the general consensus is that consciousness doesn't cause the collapse.
-ibysaiyan
Ok, it's starting to make more sense then. I guess I'll go ahead and post my idea then. Maybe it's just interactions in general that cause the collapse? This seems like an obvious idea, but I haven't seen any interpretations that suggest this.

The self-interactions and heat readiation from macroscopic bodies in fact create quantum decoherence in matter of few picoseconds. Quantum decoherence is what replaces the old fashioned "collapse", which is out of favor.

Dmitry67 said:
The self-interactions and heat readiation from macroscopic bodies in fact create quantum decoherence in matter of few picoseconds. Quantum decoherence is what replaces the old fashioned "collapse", which is out of favor.

I see. I think I understand what you mean by 'heat radiation' being a factor for this but what about self-interaction ? Are you saying that it's the mere presence of quantum bodies which irrevocably produces this decoherence , but isn't that what wave-function is defined as ?

- ibysaiyan

The self-interaction is irrelevant because no information is leaked outside. Hence, the evolution of the envronment would be 'compatible' with any outcome of any experiment made inside. For example, self interaction inside C60 molecules used in 2slit experiment does not change the interference pattern.

Regarding the "what wave-function is defined as", different interpretations of QM don't even agree if wavefunction is real or not. What is your favourite interpretation?

Last edited:

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves passing a beam of particles or waves through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern.

2. How does the double slit experiment work?

In the double slit experiment, a beam of particles or waves, such as electrons or photons, is directed towards two parallel slits. As the particles or waves pass through the slits, they diffract and create an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This interference pattern is a result of the particles or waves behaving like waves and interfering with each other.

3. What does the double slit experiment prove?

The double slit experiment provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It shows that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit wave-like behavior and interfere with each other, suggesting that they are not solely particles but also have wave-like properties.

4. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the nature of particles and the behavior of matter at the subatomic level. It has also led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and technological advancements.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

Yes, the double slit experiment has real-world applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and optics. It has also been used to study the behavior of matter and light, and has led to the development of technologies such as electron microscopy and holography.